A New Beginning Part 5/?: Settling in

The next morning

I turn over in bed, causing the duvet to ruffle slightly, yawning heavily.

I always wake up at around 5am now,  after being woken up at the same time my whole life, and honestly... I hate it.

It's too early.

I let my eyes drift shut again for a few more blissful seconds, before sighing heavily and forcing my body to sit up, rubbing my eyes and instantly feeling that morning crust loosen onto my fingertips.

God, I am so tired.

I mean, let's be honest... when am I not?

That's just depression.

I let another eye-watering yawn escape my throat, before slowly pushing myself off my bed and making my way to my door.

However, just before I reach it, I have to stop and press my hand against the wall as I lean slightly into it, closing my eyes as I'm momentarily overcome with that sense of dizziness that you get when you get up way too quick, or just way too early and you're tired.

When the sensation subsides, I slowly lean back again, easing my door open.

...

Huh?

Why are the lights all off...? I mean... it's 5am now, it's time to get up...?

I stand there, swaying slightly in exhausted confusion.

Then, across the hall, a light turns on.

Mum and Dad's bedroom.

Ah, there. Okay, it is time.

Mum slowly opens her door and walks out, as I walk towards her, blinking with tiredness.

"Charlie? Why are you up, sweetie? You okay?" She asks softly, making her way over to me.

"Huh...? What do you mean..."

She reaches me, gently drawing me into her arms. I stand there for a second, blinking, before wrapping my arms back round her and pressing my face into her shoulder.

"It's 5am sweetie, why aren't you in bed? Everything okay?" She whispers.

"Um... I always get up at 5am..." I mumble, raising an eyebrow slightly into her shoulder.

She stays quiet for a second, before whispering again, "I see."

I slowly lift my head from her shoulder, looking at her eyes sleepily. "Hmm... what do you mean?"

She looks at me softly.

"Char, sweetie, you live here with us now, yeah?" She says softly.

"Mmh...?"

"Yeah. So you don't need to get up so early anymore, you can lay in. Sleep as long as you need, we don't have a set time." She says tentatively.

I blink slowly, yawning softly.

"Oh... mmh... okay." I murmur.

"Okay." She whispers, smiling gently.

I lean back into her, pressing my face into her neck.

God, I love hugs.

She holds me close, gently moving her thumb back and forth on my shoulder.

"Mum..."

"Mmh?"

"You know when you hugged me... at the Orphanage..." I whisper.

"I remember." She whispers back softly.

"Mmh... you know why I lost it?"

"No." She whispers.

"Because I'd never been hugged before. And I wasn't used to such physical comfort." I say quietly.

She's silent for a second, however not uncomfortably.

"Oh sweetie..." She whispers gently. "Well... you can have as many hugs as you want or need from now on."

"Mmh... thank you..." I yawn slightly.

"You're welcome sweetie. Now let's get you back to bed." She whispers.

So I let her gently guide me back into my room, and climb back into bed. She kneels down on the floor next to my bed and kisses my cheek softly, and I don't know how to react.

I've never... felt so loved before.

And it feels amazing.