lost love ⋆

Louis briskly trudged through the walkway of his vast almost endless manor, anxiously pacing and muttering encouraging words to himself. "Charles I need my emerald, green tailcoat. This one is utterly horrible!" Louis inspected the deep brown coat, pulling it away from his body in disgust as he paced himself back to his room. He busted back into his large dwelling that was adorned in the deepest of rich reds and smooth velvets, he plopped himself on his chaise lounge and poured himself a glass of wine. "Sir Louis, you've changed almost ten times and don't seem too content with any of my choices." Charles, Louis' trusted butler and friend, looked sadly at the young man who was taking anxious sips of liquor to calm his racing thoughts. "I can't look like an absolute shitty poltroon; he can't see me like this. I need to look majestic and regal." Louis snapped back, swiftly standing on his feet and removing the coat, throwing it on the seat and retreating back to his wine. "Sir can I be blunt and ask why the preparation? You've had us clean and polish every surface twice, redesign rooms you haven't touched since your pubescence and now you're fussing over the state of your wardrobe, why sir?" Louis paused his consumption of wine and glanced at the butler, he pondered for a second telling Charles why he was so anxious for the upcoming changes but quickly realized he didn't even think he could say the words out loud. Louis hadn't seen the younger man who was visiting since their adolescence, he didn't know who he was going to come in contact with or if the man even remembered him. He had heard of Harry's return to the countryside of England from his sister's chatty gossip group having their weekend tea. When he first heard the name, it fell upon deaf ears, but the immediate painful tinge of nostalgia and heartbreak flooded his mind with memories of Harry as soon as he heard 'Sir Styles'. Upon hearing the name, he searched high and low for any information of the man, not stopping until he found where Harry was living recently and sending a carriage to acquire him. "I like to appear in order and appropriate for when we have guest Charles, now c'mon I need to finish preparing the house before he arrives." Louis set his drink down and clapped his hands. He turned his back towards the butler so he could put on the beautiful green tailcoat then dismissed the man with a 'thank you'. Louis looked at himself one last time, he smiled at his reflection and realized why he loved the color of his exquisite gold trimmed coat. He looked ravishing and as the wine washed into his bloodstream, he finally felt slightly prepared to see the man.

Louis and Harry hadn't seen each other in the past 8 summers, no longer teenage boys running in servant quarters and sneaking off into the woods. Their friendship blossomed at the ripe age of 10 and 12 when their mothers became a part of the same socialite group due to Harry and Louis' fathers. The boys remained friends even when Harry's mother remarried and no longer conversed with Louis' mother on the regular. They were inseparable, almost mirroring each other like reflections due to their close proximity and it only grew stronger as they aged together. Their connection matured into love when Louis at 17 tearfully confessed his confusing and overwhelming feelings to Harry while they hid in the barn from his mother who was forcing them to get dressed for a dinner party. Harry listened as the boy on the cusp of manhood bared his soul and declared his love, and he simply responded with a sweet gentle kiss and a proclamation of his own love. Harry and Louis gave themselves to each other on a tattered blanket sprawled over a pile of hay that they used for late night talks and star gazing in the barn. It was a timid and clumsy affair of messy kisses and premature orgasms but to the young men it was the most romantic and intoxicating experiences of their lives. They spent the rest of the summer like that, tangled together in secret, talking and kissing or deep in hiding chasing each other's climaxes. The young love came to a stop a week after Louis 18th birthday when he was requested to join his father in the Royal Navy and not even a month later was deployed out of London. Harry mourned his love even before he left, knowing that if anything happened to either of them their burgeon of love would be forever wilted. The older boy tried to reassure the younger, during their last night of love making, that his wealth insured his safe return; but Harry just curled into his arms and placed kisses along his body as he took in his love. That following morning Louis left for the navy and Harry spiraled into a depression that left him melancholy even when he was at his best. When Louis returned from war after over 2 years he was met with the absence of his love and the birth of a dangerous drinking and sex problem. Louis interrogated his sisters' acquaintances, other gentlemen of their age and even merchants or Freedmans; he was heartbroken to find that his sweet curly boy and his family had upped their lives and moved to the states. Now after almost a decade he would be reunited with the lost love of his youth.