Part 1: The Reaping: District 1

Azalea had always dreamed of participating in The Hunger Games, to volunteer for as tribute or to chosen from the ballot.

She lived in a once wealthy and flourishing home with both parents. Now she lived with her brother in a small dilapidated cottage outside the town center in District 1, specialized in luxury.

It had all started when her parents stopped showing up for dinner and got back late each night. The family had lived in a huge house filled with advanced technology, satin sheets, golden silverware, and attentive avoxes.

Her father provided the family with the cushion of luxury. He worked for a huge dental business that taught learning students 'the art of dentistry.' Her mother was a lowkey teacher and didn't contribute much to the family. The two had a happy marriage and raised their two kids with structure and discipline.

During the rebellion, the couple jumped at the opportunity to turn President Snow upside down. They dragged Azalea and Omen along. The family had soon separated once Falls ordered the peacekeepers to seize anyone who had been involved in the revolution.

Omen and Azalea didn't meet each other again until they spotted each other in the outskirts of the center of town. They vowed to each other that they would never leave each other again.

The pair had soon found out that their parents were taken into custody and presumably turned into servant Avoxes. It wasn't until later when they found out it was their mother who had boiled a fatal mixture of aconite and hemlock into his rose tea.

From that day on, Azalea had changed while her now nineteen year old brother's heart had grew. Azalea was now bitter and merciless. Deep inside, she was still broken from knowing that the disappearance of her parents could've been avoided. She remained kind to Omen, however.

Omen and Azalea had managed to collect enough money to buy a four room and one bathroom cottage.

Omen and Azalea looked completely opposite of each other. Omen was tall with long stiff limbs. His shoulders sagged and he wore a permanent smile. His hands were husky and dry. His skin was fair and his eyes sparkled blue. His hair was a deep brown that had almost looked black. You'd think he was from District 12.

Azalea was fourteen and short. She was quick and always practicing for the games with homemade equipment. Fit and muscular, she seemed too old for her own age. Her eyes were deep and intense with sharp blue. Her skin was pale with a tint red and always seemed like she was blushing. Her hair was golden blonde with waves of brown.

Omen adjusted his flannel and cargo shorts. "You ready, Lea?" he turned to Azalea.

Today was the day of the reaping in District 1. Each resident gathered in a crowd in front of the town center stage.

A woman in a bright orange wig that had been braided and weaved in random places stood on the stage excitedly holding a mic with an overexaggerated smile. Her dress was long and sunshine yellow but didn't touch the ground because of her hoop skirt. Her skirt was covered with plastic flowers of different colors. She wore a navy blue jacket. Her white lipstick over lined her lips. Her blush was vibrant and purple. Her eyelashes were long and extended past her drawn on eyebrows entwined with butterflies.

Azalea and Omen continued to walk to the town center. They soon reached the injection area.The needles took more blood now and quickly scanned and collected all the information it needed.

They asked Omen his age and grunted when they found he was too old. They rudely shoved him toward the center with their guns.

Azalea eyed the peacekeepers. The one on the right roughly grabbed her arm and purposefully stuck the needle into her arm deeper than needed. Azalea pulled away and continued into the center following her brother behind.