18.

"Her cardiologist husband?" I was baffled.

"Yes" Loren grit his teeth and closed his eyes, as if he was trying to compose himself, "Did you ever suspect that he was abusive?"

I shook my head. Not once. Not ever. I thought they loved each other and she acted like he was the best man in the world. Oh, she acted very well.

"Aren planted a doubt in Charlotte's husband's mind that she might be having an affair. With Derek. Simple compulsion."

I listened to him.

"Charlotte called me and said that she was in trouble and that she couldn't reach your phone. I was in between something, running an errand for the king, and didn't know what to do. Rush to you because you weren't answering your phone or go to Charlotte to see what was happening. I assumed you were with Talia and she'd keep you safe."

The mention of Kyzer brought back my own memories of how he came to save me from the two lunatics.

"I knocked at her door and Charlotte opened it. She told me that her sewage system was leaking and she needed technical help. I thought it was such a stupid reason to call me, considering that she knew everything about us. I didn't argue though and was about to leave but I heard her husband taunt her that not just Derek, she was sleeping with me too."

Thanks to those vampire ears.

"I heard Charlotte scream. I broke the door and went inside. It was too fast. Charlotte was holding her daughter and he pushed the both of them. I could only get a hold of Blake. She practically threw Blake in my direction. I tried to...at least get a hold of her shirt...I should have gone in sooner!!"

He was guilty for not saving her. I tried to tell him that whatever happened wasn't intentional. The events unravelled so fast and so unexpectedly that I was thankful he kept Blake safe.

"I had no time to take her to a healer. Or, bring her to doctors here. So, I had to partially heal her myself."

I shifted in my chair, "What do you mean?"

"She broke her spine." He ran a finger on her arm where an IV line was attached, "She broke her head. She was going to die...I had to feed her my blood."

"What!?" I moved back so fast that my wheelchair lifted up and Loren had to push it back down to prevent me from falling. My heart raced in my chest, making my head dizzy again.

"Relax" Loren held me down not just with his hands but his dark eyes too, "It was just a little. It must be out of her system. She had three surgeries here in the hospital. I promise. The doctors were the ones to do the major work. I kept her alive till she reached the hospital. While I brought her here, Talia told me how you rushed to save Charlotte."

I waited for him to say what I was waiting to hear.

"His Highness said I should be staying with Charlotte and he'll take care of the rest."

I almost sunk into my chair in relief because I did not imagine Kyzer. He was there. I wasn't mad.

"He saved me. He did." I told Loren, "And you saved Charlotte and her child. Thank you."

Loren did not answer. He was looking at Charlotte, his fingers still resting on her forearm.

"You never suspected that her husband is abusive?" Loren asked me again.

"No" I answered honestly, "She always praised him. She loved him."

Loren scoffed softly and stood up, "He is a fool."

Though I argued to stay with Charlotte, Loren took me back to my own room. He said I needed rest and we could discuss everything else later. I complained a lot. I wanted to be at Charlotte's side even though my leg hurt, I needed the medicine drip and sleep seemed like a luxurious commodity. But, I wanted to be there for her.