|Chapter 16| - Ingredients

Certain buildings were already laid in ruin, smoke rising from the smoldering structures as the Crystal Dragon soared through the skies, a constant lingering threat, and its scales glinting ominously in the fading light. Emica, Kai, and Luna had transformed into their fairy forms, their wings shimmering with magical energy as the trio flew above the chaos below.

"We need to stop those shadow creatures from breaking through the kingdom gates!" Kai shouted, his voice barely audible over the roar of the dragon and the clamor of battle as the knights tried their best hold back the shadows.

Emica nodded, her eyes scanning the ground below. The shadow creatures were relentless, their dark forms swarming the gates, trying to force their way into the heart of the kingdom. "We can't let them get through! If they do, the entire city will fall!" She said nervously.

Kai flew closer, his expression determined. "We need to split up. I'm fairly stronger than you both, so I'll be fine on my own. Emica, Luna, you take the left flank, I'll handle the right. We have to try help hold them off until they retreat."

"Got it!" Luna replied, diving towards the left side of the gates along with Emica, their wings leaving a trail of sparkling light in their wake.

Just as they flew, they heard the cries of a panicked knight from the main gate. "THEY BROKE THROUGH THE GATES!" He yelled loudly as the shadow creatures began squeezing through a fairly large hole they managed to break through, with the other knights using their powers and weapons to fight and hold them back, but the increasing number of shadow creatures getting into the city proved to be challenging.

Emica and Luna immediately flew over to the distressed knights, Emica summoned her magic, her hands glowing with a bright green, ethereal light. As she approached the shadow creatures, she unleashed a powerful blast of energy, sending several of them flying back, but doing very little to damage them.

Luna, meanwhile, focused on her own magic, creating a barrier made out of a water-like energy that held the creatures at bay. "Let's hope that'll hold them back!" She said, her voice filled with uncertainty as the sheer number of shadows creatures kept increasing with seemingly no end.

The battle raged on, the duo, alongside the knights, fought valiantly to protect the kingdom as best as they could. The Crystal Dragon circled above, its red eyes glowing with a fierce intensity as it watched the chaos unfold below, destroying a few buildings in the process. Emica could feel the strain of the battle weighing on her as she started to reach her limits, but she pushed through, knowing that the fate of the kingdom rested upon their determination.

As the shadow creatures continued their assault, a loud horn sounded in the distance. Reinforcements had arrived as more knights came, including the General himself, Huang. Emica glanced behind her and saw a battalion of knights charging towards the gates, their weapons and spells ready to join the fight.

"Hold on just a little longer!" General Huang shouted, remaining hopeful and optimistic despite the battle.

With determination, the duo continued their defense, their combined magic creating a dazzling display of light and power. The reinforcements soon joined the fray, their presence turning the tide of the battle towards success, and, slowly but surely, the shadow creatures were pushed back, their numbers dwindling under the combined might of the defenders. 

On the other hand, remaining knights went to deal with the Crystal dragon, who managed to put up quite a fight and injure a significant amount of people, but quickly flew away as well.

As the last of the shadow creatures were vanquished, with the rest finally retreating, Emica, Kai, and Luna landed near the gates, their outfits and wings in their fairy forms shimmering as they reverted to their 'human' selves. They were exhausted, but triumphant. and the kingdom was once again saved.