Part 16

After all the chaos that had gone down earlier, the  medbay was quiet. Jean insisted on checking me over, even though I kept telling her my healing factor had already done its job. The laser burn on my chest was gone, not even a scar left behind. Still, she hovered close, her green eyes scanning my skin like she was looking for something that wasn't there.

"You know I'm fine, right?" I said, my voice low, a hint of amusement in it. "Didn't even need a band-aid."

Jena smiled, that soft, knowing smile of hers. "I just wanted to be sure," she replied, her fingers trailing lightly over where the wound had been. "Seeing you get hurt, even if you heal...I still care about you."

I caught her hand, holding it against my unclothed chest. "Ain't much that can keep me down, Jean. You should know that by now."

Her smile widened a bit, and she let out a small, relieved breath. "Yeah, I guess I should." She leaned in closer, her forehead resting against mine. "But I don't care, I still worry."

We stood there for a moment, just breathing, the tension of the day easing with every second that passed. Eventually, she pulled back, her expression shifting to something more thoughtful. "Logan...want to lay down?"

Not needing any convincing. I'd take any excuse ti get away from the cold sterile smell of the medbay. "Let's go, beautiful."

We walked down the hallway together, our shoulders brushing with every step. The mansion mostly dimly lit, everyone retreated into their rooms after the drama that unfolded. It felt good to have moment without Scott ruining it.

Once we were in my room, I shut the door behind us. The familiar scent of cigar smoke and whiskey filled the air, and I immediately felt more at ease. Jean didn't waste any time; she made her way over to my bed and sat down on the edge, looking at me with those eyes that always seemed to see right through me.

"Logan," she started, her voice steady, "I've been thinking... about us."

I nodded, moving to sit beside her. "And?"

She turned to face me, her hand reaching out to rest on my arm. "I don't want to keep going back and forth between you and Scott's rooms. I want to be with you. Here. Always."

For a moment, her words hung in the air, and I felt a comfort in our relationship. "Took you long enough." I said, my voice quieter than I intended.

She nodded. "I want to share your room, Logan. If you'll have me."

I chuckled softly, feeling a smile occurring. "Darlin', I'd be more than happy to share my room with you. Hell, I'd be happy to share my life with you."

Jean's face softened, a look of relief crossing her features. "Good," she said, leaning in close, her lips brushing mine in a soft kiss. "Because I'm not going anywhere."

We settled back onto the bed, the reminders of the day finally melting away. She curled up against me, her head resting on my fully healed chest, and I wrapped my arms around her, holding her close. Her body fit perfectly against mine, like a puzzle piece I wanted for so long.

"Feels good," she murmured against my skin, her voice drowsy, "being here with you."

"Yeah," I agreed, my hand gently running through her hair. "It does." We laid there, the room darkening with the setting sun cloaked over us.