Chapter 5

Ben and Miranda followed the doctor into the private room, their hands entwined. The doctor smiled, her eyes filled with warmth. “Congratulations on your engagement,” she said, her voice filled with sincerity. “And congratulations on your pregnancy.”

Ben and Miranda smiled, their faces glowing with happiness. “Thank you,” Miranda said, her voice trembling with emotion. “We’re so excited.”

The doctor nodded, her eyes brimming with understanding.

The doctor smiled, her hands folded in her lap. “So how has it been for you, Miranda?” she asked, her voice filled with concern. “You’re getting close to seven months now. Are you feeling okay?”

Miranda nodded, her hands resting on her stomach. “I’ve been feeling good,” she said, her voice filled with relief. “A little tired, maybe, but overall, I feel great.”

The doctor smiled, her eyes crinkling at the corners.“That’s wonderful to hear,” the doctor said, her voice filled with satisfaction. “It’s important to rest as much as possible during pregnancy, especially as you get closer to your due date.”

Miranda nodded, her eyes shining with gratitude. “Thank you,” she whispered, her voice filled with emotion. “I’ll do my best.”

The doctor smiled, her hands sliding across the table. “Now, let’s talk about the results of your tests. The tests revealed that your baby has a condition called Spina Bifida,” the doctor said, her voice low and serious. “It’s a birth defect that affects the development of the spine and the nervous system.”

Miranda’s face paled, her hands gripping the arms of the chair. “What does that mean?” she asked, her voice trembling with fear.

The doctor reached out, her hand resting on Miranda’s arm.“The severity of the condition can vary widely,” the doctor explained, her voice gentle and reassuring. “Some children with Spina Bifida have mild symptoms, while others may require more extensive treatment.”

Miranda nodded, her eyes brimming with tears. “What can we do?” she asked, her voice trembling with emotion. “Is there anything we can do to help our baby?”

The doctor nodded, her face filled with compassion. “There are treatments available,” she said, her voice filled with hope.

Ben’s hands tightened around Miranda’s, his voice low and serious. “Tell us more,” he said, his eyes fixed on the doctor’s face. “What are our options?”

The doctor nodded, her expression reassuring. “There are several treatment options,” she said, her voice calm and steady. “The most common is surgery to repair the spinal defect, usually performed before the baby is born.”

Miranda’s eyes widened, her hands gripping the arms of the chair.The doctor continued, her voice calm and reassuring. “Surgery can reduce the risk of complications, such as paralysis and nerve damage,” she explained. “It can also help the baby to have a more normal life.”

Miranda nodded, her eyes filled with tears. “What are the risks?” she asked, her voice quavering.

The doctor smiled, her expression compassionate. “There are risks associated with any surgery,” she said. “But the benefits often outweigh the risks.”

The doctor continued, her voice filled with understanding. “After the surgery, the baby will need ongoing treatment,” she explained. “Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and other therapies can help the baby learn to walk, control their bladder and bowels, and develop other skills.”

Ben nodded, his hand sliding to Miranda’s shoulder. “We’ll do whatever it takes,” he said, his voice filled with determination.

Miranda smiled, her eyes filling with gratitude.