Chapter 8

The drive home was filled with a sense of wonder and joy, as Ben carefully navigated the SUV through the streets of the city, Miranda in the passenger seat and Antonio sleeping peacefully in his car seat.

Miranda gazed out the window, her eyes taking in the familiar sights of the city she loved, her heart swelling with a new sense of purpose. “It’s hard to believe we’re taking our son home,” she whispered, her voice filled with awe.

Ben smiled, his gaze flickering between the road and Miranda’s face.“I know,” Ben replied, his voice full of wonder and pride. “It’s like our lives have changed completely, in the best possible way.”

Miranda nodded, her smile widening as she gazed at the sleeping Antonio. “He’s the best thing that’s ever happened to us,” she said, her voice filled with love.

Ben chuckled, his eyes shining with amusement. “I don’t know,” he teased, his voice playful. “You and I meeting might still be the best thing.

Miranda laughed, her head shaking in playful disbelief. “You’re ridiculous,” she said, her voice warm and affectionate. “You know exactly what I meant.”

Ben laughed too, his eyes shining with mirth. “I do,” he admitted, his voice a gentle confession. “But you’re just too easy to tease.”

Miranda rolled her eyes, a smile still playing at her lips. “And you’re just too good at it,” she said, her voice filled with affection.

Ben pulled the SUV into the driveway, his smile widening as he caught sight of the decorations. “Surprise,” he whispered, his eyes gleaming with mischief.

Miranda gasped, her hands flying to her mouth in shock. “Oh my goodness!” she exclaimed, her voice trembling with excitement. “You didn’t tell me anyone was coming!”

Ben grinned, his eyes dancing with amusement. “I wanted it to be a surprise,” he said, his voice playful. “And you know how I love a good surprise."

Miranda shook her head, her eyes shining with happiness. “Well, you certainly surprised me,” she said, her voice warm and appreciative. “Thank you, Ben.”

Ben’s smile widened, his heart swelling with pride at Miranda’s reaction. “Anything for my girls,” he said, his voice filled with affection.

As they stepped out of the car, Ben’s parents and Miranda’s parents rushed forward to greet them, their faces alight with excitement and love.

The air was filled with laughter and joy as Ben and Miranda were embraced by their parents, their hands patting and fussing over Antonio’s tiny form.

“He’s perfect,” Miranda’s mother cooed, her voice filled with wonder and pride. “Just perfect.”

“He looks just like you,” Ben’s father said, his voice a proud and loving murmur. “Our little Ben, all grown up.”

Miranda’s mother pulled Miranda into a tight hug, her eyes brimming with tears. “I’m so proud of you, sweetheart,” she whispered, her voice filled with emotion. “You’re going to be a wonderful mother.”

Ben’s father nodded, his voice a gruff but loving murmur. “That’s right,” he said, his eyes fixed on Antonio’s sleeping form. “Our boy’s got himself a good woman, and a fine little son to boot.”

Miranda’s mother, Elaine, folded her arms across her chest, a sly grin on her face. “Well, well,” she said, her voice playful but knowing. “You have some explaining to do, young lady. Last time you were home in Georgia, you told me you weren’t in a relationship, and now here you are, engaged, with a beautiful baby boy in your arms.”