Chapter 3 : Between Two

In the guild, the morning buzz filled the air as Marisa and the other receptionists prepared for the day. One of Marisa's friends leaned over with a curious grin.

"So, Marisa, any plans for tonight?"

Marisa glanced over and replied casually,

"I have some important matters to take care of later tonight."

Her friend smirked, teasingly.

"Oh? Important matters? Maybe someone special involved?"

Marisa's cheeks flushed a soft pink as she shrugged it off.

"It’s just personal business, nothing more," she muttered.

Her friend giggled, playfully poking Marisa.

"Sure, sure. Keep your secrets."

Marisa rolled her eyes but couldn't help smiling.

Marisa sat down with a soft sigh, her fingers tracing the edges of a paper on her desk. It was Suzuno's details form. Her eyes skimmed over the line that read

"Martial Art."

Her friend leaned over again, curiosity still lingering.

"That’s the first adventurer with martial arts skills here, right?"

Marisa nodded, holding the paper thoughtfully.

"Yeah, martial arts users are rare. They usually have strong abilities, but it’s something mostly seen among the Dragon Tribe. It's one of their common techniques."

Her friend raised an eyebrow.

"So, do you think Suzuno might be a Dragon Tribe member?"

Marisa glanced at the form again but didn’t answer immediately.

Marisa glanced at Suzuno's form one last time, noting again how he didn't resemble the Dragon Tribe at all. He looked like a normal human, which only deepened her curiosity. Her friend hummed softly, but before either could speculate further, the door to the guild swung open, and Suzuno and Nina entered.

Marisa quickly tucked away the form and greeted them with a bright smile.

"Good morning! You’re early."

Suzuno returned her greeting, a half-hearted laugh escaping him.

"Maybe I just want to knock out a bunch of quests today."

Meanwhile, Nina wandered around, poking at other reception desks, her curiosity drawing smiles from the other staff.

Marisa turned back to Suzuno, leaning forward slightly. "What kind of quest are you aiming for today?"

"I already picked one up yesterday," Suzuno replied.

"It's not a rush, so I figured I could take my time."

Marisa checked her records, noting the quest: gathering five magic brown mushrooms.

"Ah, that one. An easy request from the Guildmaster."

A knowing smile crept across her face as she muttered to herself,

"Guildmaster must be craving them again."

Suzuno looked at her, confused.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

Marisa straightened, her smile returning to its professional warmth.

"Oh, nothing! Just thinking out loud. Anyway, here’s a map for the mushrooms. This will help you find them more easily."

She handed the map to Suzuno, who studied it carefully. Meanwhile, Nina continued poking at the desks, drawing amused glances from the other receptionists. To them, she looked like a curious and lost child, which only added to her charm.