Chapter 12: April 14, 1912 - 11:55 PM

The cold night air stung Isabella's face as she stepped onto the boat deck, fully aware of the disaster unfolding around her. The Titanic, once a marvel of human engineering, was now a sinking ship in the middle of the North Atlantic. The grandeur that had been so intoxicating just days ago now felt like a cruel mockery. Beneath her feet, the slight tilt of the deck confirmed the ship's steady descent into the freezing ocean.

The scene on the deck was a mix of chaos and despair. Officers shouted orders as they tried to maintain some semblance of control, directing passengers toward the lifeboats. The grim reality was sinking in: there weren't enough boats for everyone. Isabella knew that the chance of survival was dwindling with every passing minute.

Isabella's heart pounded in her chest, not from panic, but from a cold, clear understanding of the stakes. She had seen the iceberg hit—heard the sickening scrape of ice against metal, felt the shudder that ran through the ship like a dying gasp. Now, she stood among the crowd of passengers, her breath coming in shallow bursts as she fought to remain calm.

She moved quickly, weaving through the growing throng of passengers who were beginning to realize the gravity of their situation. Many were still dressed in their evening finery, clutching coats and blankets against the cold. Children cried, their mothers holding them close, trying to shield them from the mounting fear. Men stood back, their faces etched with helplessness, as the crew's shouts of "Women and children first!" echoed across the deck.

Isabella's eyes scanned the lifeboats, which were rapidly filling with women and children. The officers moved with grim efficiency, loading the boats as quickly as they could, but the math was unforgiving. The Titanic had been built to impress, not to save everyone on board.

The cold realization that she might not make it off the ship hit her like a blow, but she forced herself to push the thought aside. She couldn't afford to panic, not now. She had to think clearly, to find a way out of this nightmare.

As she moved toward a lifeboat, she felt a rough hand on her arm. It was an officer, his face lined with tension. "Sorry, miss, this boat's full. You'll have to wait for the next one."

Isabella looked at the lifeboat, already being lowered away, and swallowed hard. She nodded and stepped back, her mind racing. She knew the odds were against her. There were only a few lifeboats left, and each one was a dwindling chance at survival.

She turned to look at the sea, its surface calm and deceptively serene under the starry sky. The iceberg that had sealed their fate was a jagged silhouette in the distance, a monstrous reminder of how quickly everything could go wrong. The ship's bow was already dipping lower into the water, and she could feel the ship listing more with each passing moment.

The scene on deck was deteriorating quickly. Panic was setting in as the last lifeboats were loaded. People were shouting, pleading, pushing their way through the crowd. The crew did their best to maintain order, but it was clear that control was slipping away.

Isabella watched as a mother with two small children was lifted into a lifeboat, the officer shouting to make room for them. The boat was lowered slowly, disappearing into the dark abyss below. The image of those children's faces, pale with fear, would haunt her for the rest of her life—however long that might be.

She looked around, her mind spinning with the possibilities. There had to be another way. She couldn't just stand here and wait for the inevitable. But as the minutes ticked by, it became painfully clear that her options were running out.

The Titanic's list was becoming more pronounced, the deck now noticeably slanted. The once steady hum of the ship was replaced by groans of twisting metal and the distant roar of the ocean. Isabella clung to the rail for balance as the ship continued to sink lower, the water now lapping at the lower decks.

She saw a group of men near the last remaining lifeboat, trying to push their way on despite the officers' orders. A scuffle broke out, and the boat nearly tipped as it was lowered away. The desperation in their eyes mirrored the fear she felt deep inside, a fear she had been trying to suppress since the moment she realized what was happening.

The last lifeboat was gone.

Isabella stood on the now chaotic deck, surrounded by the rising tide of panic. The realization that she might not survive this night began to sink in. But even as fear tightened its grip on her heart, a strange calm settled over her. She wasn't going to give up—not yet.

She turned and headed toward the stern, where a small group of passengers had gathered, clinging to the hope that the ship might stay afloat long enough for rescue to arrive. The night was cold, and the air was filled with the frantic cries of those still clinging to life, but Isabella pressed on, determined to find some way—any way—to survive.

As she reached the stern, she looked out at the dark ocean, the freezing water that would soon claim the ship and everyone still on board. Her heart pounded in her chest, but she forced herself to stay calm, to think clearly.

Isabella had made it this far, and she wasn't about to give up. Not now.