Chapter 7: Echoes of Fate

The night had deepened, with the stars shimmering like tiny diamonds against a velvet sky, when Isabella found herself drawn once more to the deck. The cool breeze had picked up slightly, ruffling the folds of her gown as she walked, her footsteps barely audible on the wooden planks. The ship's grand interior, with its opulence and grandeur, felt too stifling, too incongruous with the growing sense of dread that gnawed at her. Out here, in the open air, she could think more clearly, even if her thoughts were anything but comforting.

She was not alone on the deck; a few other passengers had also ventured outside, though most were tucked away in the warmth of the ship's lounges or their cabins. A few couples strolled leisurely, arm in arm, murmuring softly to each other. Their voices were like whispers on the wind, barely reaching Isabella's ears as she passed by.

She made her way toward the bow of the ship, where she could be alone with her thoughts. The ocean stretched out endlessly before her, a vast, dark expanse that both fascinated and terrified her. It was hard to believe that beneath the calm surface, the water was so cold, so deep, and so unforgiving.

Isabella leaned against the railing, gazing out at the horizon where the sky met the sea. The ship's bow sliced through the water with quiet determination, a juggernaut on its path to New York. Yet, for all its power and majesty, the Titanic seemed so small in the face of nature's vastness. The thought made her shiver, though whether from the cold or from something else, she couldn't be sure.

She thought back to her conversation with Alexander earlier in the day, his warning still echoing in her mind. There was something about his words, his demeanor, that she couldn't shake. He wasn't just being cautious; he was afraid. And that fear had ignited a similar feeling within her, one that refused to be ignored.

"Miss Roth?"

The voice startled her, and she turned to see Alexander standing a few feet away, his expression unreadable in the dim light. He was dressed in his evening attire, though his bow tie was slightly askew, as if he had hastily thrown it on before coming out. His hands were tucked into the pockets of his coat, and his eyes held the same intensity she had seen earlier.

"Mr. Pierce," she greeted him, trying to steady her voice. "I didn't expect to see you out here."

He offered a small, almost apologetic smile as he approached. "I could say the same to you. The night air is quite chilly, and most of the passengers have retreated inside."

Isabella nodded, her gaze returning to the horizon. "I needed to clear my head. It's been... an unsettling day."

Alexander joined her at the railing, his presence a strange mix of comfort and tension. For a moment, they stood in silence, both lost in their thoughts as the ship moved steadily onward.

"You're worried," Alexander said quietly, breaking the silence. It wasn't a question; it was a statement, one that held a depth of understanding that caught Isabella off guard.

She hesitated before replying, unsure of how much to reveal. But something about the night, the isolation of their surroundings, made her feel as though she could speak freely. "I am," she admitted. "I can't shake this feeling that something is wrong. And I think you feel it too."

Alexander's jaw tightened, and he looked down at the water below. "I've always trusted my instincts, Miss Roth. They've saved my life more than once. And right now, those instincts are telling me to be on guard."

"What do you think is going to happen?" Isabella asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Alexander didn't answer right away. Instead, he stared out at the dark water, as if searching for something just beyond the horizon. "I don't know," he said at last, his tone grave. "But whatever it is, it's going to test us all."