Chapter 16: April 15, 1912 - 3:45 AM

The lifeboat drifted in the cold, black sea, its occupants huddled together, fighting to stay warm as the night dragged on. Isabella, wrapped in a blanket, stared numbly into the distance, her thoughts fixated on the Titanic's final moments. The cries for help had all but faded, leaving an eerie silence broken only by the sound of the ocean lapping against the boat.

Evelyn, beside her, was barely conscious, her head resting on Isabella's shoulder. The cold had drained them both, and though they had escaped the water, the frigid air still clung to them like a deathly shroud. Isabella's thoughts kept drifting back to Alexander, the friend who had been their anchor throughout the night's horrors. She hadn't seen him since the ship split apart, and the uncertainty gnawed at her.

Isabella's heart was heavy with the fear that Alexander hadn't made it, that he had been swallowed by the icy waters like so many others. She couldn't bear the thought of losing him after everything they had been through together. The weight of it pressed down on her chest, making it hard to breathe.

The first faint light of dawn began to appear on the horizon, and with it came a renewed search for survivors. The lifeboat crew scanned the dark water for any sign of life, their voices carrying over the waves as they called out into the night. Isabella strained to see, her eyes searching for any movement among the debris-strewn waters.

Then, just as the light grew a little stronger, she saw something—someone—clinging to a piece of wreckage. Her heart leaped in her chest as she recognized the familiar figure. It was Alexander, his body half-submerged in the freezing water, but unmistakably alive.

"Over there!" Isabella cried out, her voice hoarse with emotion as she pointed to where Alexander was drifting.

The lifeboat crew quickly maneuvered toward him, and as they got closer, Isabella could see that he was barely conscious, his face pale and his eyes half-closed. But he was alive.

"Hold on, Alexander!" she shouted, leaning over the edge of the lifeboat as the crew reached out to pull him aboard. It took several men to haul him out of the water, his body heavy with the weight of his soaked clothing and the exhaustion that had overtaken him.

As they laid him down in the bottom of the boat, Isabella quickly wrapped him in blankets, trying to warm his frozen body. She knelt beside him, her heart pounding as she watched for any sign of life.

"Alexander," she whispered, her voice trembling. "It's me, Isabella. You're safe now."

For a moment, there was no response. But then, slowly, Alexander's eyes fluttered open. He looked up at Isabella, his expression dazed but filled with relief as recognition dawned.

"Isabella," he rasped, his voice barely more than a whisper. "You...you're alive."

Tears filled Isabella's eyes as she nodded, unable to speak for a moment. "Yes, I'm here. We both made it."

A weak smile tugged at the corners of Alexander's lips, and he reached out with a trembling hand to grasp hers. His grip was weak, but the connection was enough to steady Isabella's racing heart. The sight of him alive, against all odds, filled her with a sense of profound relief.

Evelyn stirred beside them, opening her eyes as she heard their voices. When she saw Alexander, her face lit up with a mixture of shock and joy. "Alexander... you're here," she whispered, her voice breaking with emotion.

Alexander nodded slowly, his eyes heavy with exhaustion but filled with determination. "I couldn't leave you two," he said, his voice still weak but gaining strength with each word. "I promised I'd get you through this."

The three of them shared a moment of silent relief, a bond forged in the fires of unimaginable tragedy. The cold and exhaustion were still there, gnawing at their strength, but the knowledge that they were together, that they had survived, gave them the will to endure.

As the lifeboat drifted toward the horizon, the outline of a ship became visible against the first light of dawn. The RMS Carpathia was approaching, its dark silhouette a beacon of hope for the survivors. The sight of it brought a surge of energy to the lifeboat's occupants, a promise that their ordeal was finally nearing its end.

Isabella, Evelyn, and Alexander huddled close together, drawing warmth and comfort from each other's presence. The Carpathia's crew worked tirelessly to pull the survivors aboard, and soon it was their turn. Strong arms helped them up the gangway and onto the deck, where they were wrapped in blankets and given hot drinks.

The warmth of the Carpathia's interior was a stark contrast to the freezing cold they had endured, and as they were led to the infirmary, Isabella felt a wave of exhaustion wash over her. But it was a good kind of exhaustion, the kind that comes with the knowledge that they had survived the worst.

As they sat together in the infirmary, the events of the night began to sink in. They were safe, but the memory of those lost would remain with them forever. Isabella glanced at Alexander, who was resting but alive, and then at Evelyn, who was finally starting to regain some color in her cheeks. The three of them had made it through the unthinkable, and they would carry the memory of that night with them for the rest of their lives.

The Carpathia sailed away from the site of the disaster, leaving the wreckage of the Titanic behind. As the morning sun rose higher in the sky, the survivors on board began to look ahead, to the future that awaited them. For Isabella, Evelyn, and Alexander, that future was uncertain, but they knew they would face it together.

And as they sailed toward safety, the memory of that terrible night began to fade into the distance, replaced by the dawning realization that they had survived, that they had a chance to start anew.