Chapter 2: Horseshoe Overlook

Summary:

Arthur accompanies Uncle, Karen, Tilly, and Mary-Beth into town to get a feel for the place. Unexpected events unfold, including Arthur chasing down a man who recognizes him from Blackwater.

༺༻

Chapter 2: Horseshoe Overlook

A couple of weeks later...

Arthur's Journal,
We got off the mountain.. and rode east into some pretty enough country called the Heartlands. Ain't been this far east in many a year. Dutch seems a little better. His eyes are sparkling once more and.. I can see he's thinking a little clearer. I think we all feel a little happier.. spite of Blackwater and that whole mess.

Arthur closed his journal and stood up, grabbing his hat from the table in front of him and putting it on. He immediately walked to the barrel with the mirror and his shaving products. He had put shaving behind his head, but it was growing too long for his liking; he preferred it clean-shaven.

 He had put shaving behind his head, but it was growing too long for his liking; he preferred it clean-shaven

Once he was done, Hosea called out to him, "Arthur." He snapped his head up at the sound. There was Hosea, holding a metal cup—definitely coffee—walking toward Arthur. Arthur walked around the barrel. "Hosea," he said, gratefully accepting the metal mug filled with coffee.

Hosea gave a smile and patted Arthur on the shoulder, then turned around, raising his arms in the air, the smile still on his face. "Quite a day," he said cheerfully.

Arthur watched him, bringing the mug to his lips but pausing halfway. "Let's hope so," he replied, then took a drink of the coffee.

Hosea continued, "There's a bunch of the boys already in Valentine... Bill, Charles, and Javier. And Swanson found something down at the train station by the lake, apparently. And Strauss came with that creepy little smile on his face. I'm sure there's a whole list of unfortunates he's forced money upon."

Arthur chuckled at Hosea, who had turned around to face him again. With a quick motion, Arthur downed the last sip of his coffee. "Thank you. And you?" he asked, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.