chapter two: from the south

The rain hit against the windows with an incredible noise. It would keep anyone awake. That's what Emma thought at least before she looked over to her side, finding her twin sister in a deep sleep. She sighed, taking a last look at the girl, who had her blonde hair all over her face, along with her lips slightly parted.

How could anyone sleep with this rain?

She tried to listen if there was anyone else awake in the house, but it was all quiet.

Not that she would admit it, but the thunders and lightings could still scare her out sometimes. Childish, maybe. But she didn't really care. Everyone has their childish fears.

Emma knew it was going to be a long day ahead of her. Jordan and Amy, their fosters, haven't really been in a great mood, neither Amy's brother, who had been living with them for a couple of months. She took a deep breath, shutting her eyes close, trying to get some sleep.

Soon, the morning would come, and she would be able to feel safer. There, in the bed in the dark, she wouldn't be able to protect herself or her sister if anything happened.

POV SCARLETT

I woke up alone, staring at my ceiling. Colin was already up, cooking breakfast, and I don't have to go to the office today, nor the set. It's nice having a day off, but it gives me too much time to think of what I have done. I haven't gotten any messages from the private detective I hired last week to find my girls. I also haven't told Chris about it.

"Scar, honey. Are you okay?" I turn my head to the door, finding Colin standing there with a worried expression. I curl my lips into a small smile, nodding and telling him I'll be up in a minute.

Getting up, I put on some slippers and change my clothes, deciding on some sweat pants and t-shirt. As I look at myself in the mirror, I hear my phone going off. Furrowing my eyebrows, I walk to the bed, where it's placed, picking it up.

They found them.

I swallow dry, a million thoughts running through my head, and that's when the actual worry comes to my head. Yeah, I haven't told any other person but my manager and the private detective about this. How in the world am I supposed to tell Colin? And worst, how am I supposed to tell Chris? He should know, but I mean. Should he?

"Honey! Breakfast is ready." Colin shouts from downstairs. I take a deep breath, using the best part of my actor abilities to hide my worries, and then start to go down.

"Good morning." I smile, looking at the table. There's a plate full of pancakes in the middle and two cups of coffee along with it.

"Good morning, Mama." Rose yawns, smiling at me. Getting closer, I place a kiss on her forehead.

"Good morning, sweetie."

As I get closer to Cosmo, I hear him babbling and laughing, reaching his arms for me.

"Hi, babyboy." I place a kiss on his temple, making the three year old giggle.

I sit by Colin, not talking much before taking a sip of my coffee. However, I feel my husband's eyes burning through me.

"Are you really alright, Scar?" He says only for me to hear. I put my mug on the table and show him a small smile.

"I am, babe. Don't worry." I look at him in the eyes, and he stares back, placing a quick peck on my lips.

"Eww. " Rose exclaims playfully, laughing along while making a disgusted expression.

I curl my lips in a smirk and peck Colin's lips once again, making my two children laugh. Then, as I should have predicted, my phone in my pocket starts to vibrate with a bunch of messages. I try my best to ignore them by now, but everyone else seems to notice.

"You should pick it up, honey. It must be important." I look at him, noticing he still hasn't believed my lie. In his eyes, there's a hint of worry, making me feel like a horrible person.

Still a bit uncomfortable, I excuse myself and take a look at the new messages. They're all from my lawyer and the private detective.

I look around me, building up courage and then open the conversation. Staring at the screen, I see a bunch of files. I wet my lips before pressing open on the first one.

It's a foster home document. I bite my lips guilty. They should have a family by now, right? It must be an old information file.

On the top of the paper, there's the coat of arms of some state. Looking around for my glasses and then zooming in the screen, I can see it's a North Carolina flag. I scroll through the screen, looking for any more information.

I instantly stop as I see the date of the file. 2024. I gulp, putting my phone down. Where are my girls now?

A/n
Second chapter *yayy*! Hope ya'll like it!
I'm all ears for any suggestions.
Take care of yourselves, and I hope to see you next chapter.