02. | THE SECOND THING

"Woah- hang on, that just got really dark, really fast," Keefe said, though his smile didn't sell the joke as it usually did.

Sophie's stomach twisted into knots. She should've known that Keefe's stellarlune thing wouldn't be so simple.

She had come here to help Keefe and destroy (or hide) the power he needed.

But Elysian turned out to be a person, which complicated things. And now Keefe couldn't survive without the crazy element his mom wanted to change him with?

Sophie was confused. Better yet, angry

And on top of all that, Sandor was still missing.

When Gisela and her trolls leaped away, Sophie had somehow just expected him to. . pop out of the ground or something. But that hadn't happen.

On the edge of a nervous breakdown, Sophie was relieved when Keefe finally said something else.

"Look, I really appreciate the offer, but my mom can't get what she wants- at any cost."

"So. .  are you declining my invitation to complete stellarlune?" Elysian said, confused

Keefe hesitated. "Yeah. . I am."

"No!" Sophie suddenly shouted. Everyone turned to look at her, and her face flushed. Ignoring this, she ran over to Keefe and looked him in the eyes when she said, "I think you should do it."

A small moment of silence.

"What?" asked Fitz from behind her.

Sophie took a deep breath and said, "Whether you like it or not, you need this. I know that stellarlune has never been your go-to option, but. . . we can't lose you, Keefe. If it's true that you need Elysian to survive then-"

"But what if it's not?" Keefe said, backing away from Sophie and shaking his head, "Honestly, Foster- can you really trust Elysian? You just met her like- five minutes ago!"

"But what if I can't risk it," Sophie whispered, "What if I can't-"

"Sophie's right, if some insane powers is what you need to live, then, I guess you're getting some insane powers," jumped in Fitz, smiling.

"Guys," Keefe started.

"He's right," cut it Marella, "Anyway, what's your mom gonna do about it? If you completed stellarlune, you'd be ten times more powerful than her anyway. We could finally wipe out the Neverseen for good!"

Keefe shook his head. "I thought we were all against my whole 'legacy boy' thing."

"We are," promised Sophie, "But what if you need this? What if your mom is right and you need to embrace the change?" She tried to pretend the crack in her voice wasn't really there.

Keefe swallowed. But miraculously, he nodded. "Okay."

"That's it?" asked Sophie.

"We don't need to grovel at you more to get you to change your mind?" Maruca asked incredulously.

"I'm just trying to do the right thing for once," Keefe mumbled, "Since none of my ideas have worked out so far."

A moment of silence followed his words.

Keefe turned to Elysian. "I've changed my mind," he announced, "Do the thing. Ely-whoever!"

"We already did 'the thing'," Sophie pointed out.

Keefe rolled his eyes. "Fine the second thing then."

Elysian looked at him strangely. "Are you sure about this?" Elysian asked.

"Yes," Keefe whispered. "Just- just get it over with already."

Elysian raised her hands. Sophie looked away. She tried to push out her consciousness to Keefe's, but her telepathy wasn't working. He was on his own.

Sophie heard gasps, screams, and a few creative words as a bright light filled the area. She still didn't look up.

Please end soon. Sophie begged silently. Please, please, please. . .

She jumped away, screaming because balls of white-hot flames were bouncing around the room. They were blue, green, yellow, red, and every other imaginable color.

"I- I can't stop it!" Marella shrieked, as Sophie watched, horrified, at the flames crawling up Marella's skin.

Fitz collapsed, clutching his head, as force fields were appearing everywhere and spreading apart like some gigantic bubble.

It was chaos, everyone's abilities seemed to be magnified 10 times more than what Sophie's enhancing usually did.

She wanted to run, scream, help somebody- do anything. But for the first time, Sophie was frozen. She couldn't move. She couldn't think.

She couldn't . . .

"Sophie- run!" Keefe screamed at her, making Sophie jump.

She only caught one glimpse of his ice blue eyes filled with terror and panic before everything went wrong.

 + * + * +

A/N: I am so sorry for the super slow updates! School was starting and I ran out of time for anything!

Thanks for sticking around, I hope to publish more SOON.

QOTD: What's your current favorite song? One of mine was hinted (accidentally) in this chapter!

Happy Shadow Thoughts!

- will0wtree