II

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

"𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘶𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘵 "

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

╰┈˚ · ° .  PATROLLING THE RESERVATION GROUND had become a habit. It was one of our main jobs— vampires, our natural enemies, were just on the other side of the treaty line— and if the Cullens were not an enough problem, we had the confirmation that other cold ones could reach our territory.

The nomads had passed only months before, and the experience had not been a positive one for us. It brought us shame that we had not been able to stop them from crossing.

Wolves had the most turn patrolling the treaty area, they would shift into their animal and walk the line keeping their guard up.

The job of the witches was slightly different. Our coven was not completed yet sadly— that was a stark difference with the pack. They did not want anyone else to shift, but for us, it was almost vital. Not only because the missing presence of the water witch messed with our balance, but because we also know the struggle of growing up feeling this immense pull towards our element. Most of the time, this attachment made really no sense. It could make you feel an outcast, most of all, weird, like your interest— your pull towards it— was too taboo to even be speaking of it.

Amelia, Kim and I had our shift together for patrolling. Our job was primarily to check the spells that littered the treaty line as protection, recharging them— like we would do every week— and recreating them when they became too old.

"Two spells down, other three to go." Kim spoke, as we walked she passed her hand on the trunk of the trees, feeling the texture underneath her palm, the connection with nature as it flowed from elements born from it to her.

"We need to redo the one on the main street too, so four." Mia corrected the earth witch.

"Didn't we make that last week?" The Caldwell girl questioned, turning around for a second to make eye contact with her .

"Yes, we did. But when I passed through it yesterday, it was already faltering." I replied with a sigh, annoyed by the discovery.

"How?"

"It's our powers." Amelia told her, "We didn't notice when making it but the spell changed itself as we did it. It gave space for the fourth witch power–"