chapter 43

Stiles takes another bite of her beef Wellington, “Sally can really cook this is delicious.”

Derek adds some truffle potatoes and green beans to her plate. “Don’t forget to eat the healthy stuff as well Stiles. We want you and the baby to be as healthy as possible.”

That night Derek draws Stiles closer to him in bed, “it’s easy to forget that we are just two human beings. The amount of responsibility we have and the people relying on us is staggering.”

“I know you had a ten year break but I have always either trained to be or was the woman. The days I spent studying with Amanda in Italy and France will always mean a lot to me.  I got to be semi normal.  I went out with my best friend, laughed and joked with her.  I never had that growing up yes I had friends but not to that level. It was nice and it made studying medicine easier.”

“I never asked you why you chose medicine Annalise.”

“From I got a doctor’s kit as a birthday present at age three I didn’t want to be anything else.”

“It’s weird up until I was eighteen I was directionless then your brother comes along and tells me who I’m.  Suddenly it was a chance to change my life. I must admit I didn’t expect to enjoy the challenge as much as I did. Jamie once told me Derek if you’re needed because I’m gone.  You need to find yourself it’s the only way you can become a good governor.”

“What did Jamie mean by that Derek?”

“He told me his mother had to lose herself to become a good “woman.”

“That didn’t answer the question Der.”

“I told him that and he told me I will understand its meaning when I truly found myself.”

The next day Stiles goes through Derek’s phone to see if the face recognition software on it recognises Tamara’s guest. It didn’t which she found very strange since they had access to every database in the world.  She doesn’t say anything to Derek about it and hurriedly finishes getting ready for the day. She calls Erica and India, “India I’m not sure if Erica has told you but the Jordan we have been dealing with is a fake.”

India was visibly shocked at the news, “I get it now why he was constantly refusing my invitation to visit me.”

“You asked him to visit you in America?”  Ask Stiles in alarm.

“Yes, he kept calling and asking me for an update of what I was doing.”

Stiles was alarmed, “Don’t worry cousin I didn’t tell him anything. I work for you not him.”

Stiles looks visible relieved at that news, “I take it he won’t be an issue anymore?” Ask Erica.

“No he won’t and I’ve kept my promise to you.  India how is it being in lockdown over there?”

“It’s okay people are buying food like crazy but since Peter did all that food shopping  we are good. Don’t worry your in-laws are not leaving the house. People are working and studying from home.”

“That’s good to know I’m curious about the police station.”

“I hear they’re struggling to cope due to lack of staff and are desperate for people to avoid calling them unless it’s absolutely necessary.”

“That india is the best time of situation we want them to find themselves in. I’m curious why no one has mentioned them making any mistakes as yet.”

“Yes that’s really odd ma’am.”

“Look I need to go and India make sure to get some sleep I know it’s late night over there.”

“Will do boss.”

The next day Stiles takes a lint brush and runs it over her little black dress then take the pins out of her  hair so her curls fall and frame her face. “Damn I look like a snack,” she says out loud.

Derek wraps his arms around her from behind, “Yes you most definitely do.  So what’s on the agenda for today wife?”

“I need to visit Tamara again and I believe you have a meeting with the team that managed the SARS outbreak some years ago.”

He gives her a quick kiss, “I’ll see you later darling and please make sure you eat throughout the day.”

“Don’t worry I’ll, in fact I had Sally make me some snacks to munch on throughout the day.”

“Good.”