Chapter 10: The Desire to Return

Alea sat on the wooden bench in the back garden of the school, gazing blankly at the expansive field. Outside, the sun was slowly setting, painting the sky with hues of orange and red. Usually, this view would calm her heart, but not anymore. It felt like two worlds were tugging at each other in her mind. Alya's world in the parallel dimension felt like home, where all her dreams of a complete and happy family had come true. But, at the same time, she knew this world was not hers.

Amidst her troubled thoughts, Alea recalled everything she had shared with Kenny. She had told him about her ability to cross dimensions, about the parallel world that was so similar yet so different, and about Alya living with the family she had always longed for. Kenny listened attentively, jotting down every detail in his notebook, but never showed any disbelief or skepticism. He had always been a good listener, making Alea feel valued and understood.

"Ken, I feel like that world is like a magnet. Every time I return, it becomes harder to come back here, to the real world," Alea said one day, her voice soft.

Kenny nodded. "I understand, Alea. That world offers something you've longed for. But remember, even though it feels real, it's not your world. It's like looking at a reflection in a mirror, similar, but not the same."

Alea gave a faint smile. She knew Kenny was right, but it was hard to let go of the warm feelings she experienced every time she saw Alya's father laughing or talking to her, even if only in Alya's shadow.

"I'm just scared," Alea continued, her voice trembling, "I'm afraid that someday I won't want to come back. I'm afraid I'll prefer to stay there forever."

Kenny looked at her seriously. "If that happens, we need to find a way to stop you from going there. I know that world feels comforting, but this is your life, Alea. You can't leave it behind."

Alea fell silent, reflecting on Kenny's words. She knew her friend was right, but his words were not enough to soothe her restless heart. Every time she closed her eyes, she saw Alya's father's smile, heard his warm voice, and felt the presence that had been missing from her life for so long.

******

That night, Alea lay in her bed, trying to sleep. But her mind couldn't be still. She kept thinking about the parallel world, about how she could be there again. She closed her eyes and tried to relax, letting her body sink into the quiet of the night. Then, she felt a familiar sensation. Her body felt light, as if floating, and when she opened her eyes again, she was already in Alya's world.

This time, Alea found herself outside Alya's house. The night air felt cooler here, a gentle breeze carrying the scent of jasmine from the garden. Alya's house looked peaceful, the lights inside casting a warm glow through the windows. Alea approached slowly, careful not to make a sound. Her heart raced as she peered through the living room window.

Inside, Alya and her family were gathered around the dinner table, enjoying a meal together. Alya's father laughed at something Alya had said, and her mother smiled affectionately. This scene was so simple, yet so painful for Alea. It was the life she had always wanted, a complete family, joyful laughter, warm companionship.

Yet this time, the feelings were more complex. There was happiness, but also pain. A sense of guilt for feeling like a thief peeking into a life that wasn't hers. Alea slowly stepped back from the window, trying to calm her thoughts. She felt as if she were standing at the edge of a cliff, ready to fall into an abyss of uncontrolled emotions.

******

She walked away from the house, trying to clear her mind. The night sky in the parallel world seemed brighter with twinkling stars, as if highlighting her confusion. Every step she took away from Alya's home felt heavy, as if something was holding her back from leaving. But she knew she had to do it. She needed to find a way to face her own feelings without constantly escaping to a world that was not hers.