Elijah

Carly had always been the kind of girl who blended into the background, her vibrant personality often overshadowed by her protective parents—Reece and Marjorie, who were more like her work mum and dad, she mostly spent her time at their house or with them they gave her a stable home filled with laughter, love, and the occasional awkward dinner conversation. But as summer arrived, so did a change in Carly.
She was no longer the shy girl who spent her weekends curled up with a book; she was blossoming into a confident young woman, eager to explore the world and, most importantly, to meet new people. It was at a local café, a quaint spot tucked away on a side street, where she first laid eyes on Elijah. He was sitting outside, sketching in a notebook, his dark hair tousled by the gentle breeze. Something magnetic about him drew her in, and before she knew it, she was standing at his table, her heart racing.
"Hi, I'm Carly," she said, her voice a mix of excitement and nerves.
Elijah looked up, his green eyes sparkling with surprise. "Hey, I'm Elijah. Nice to meet you."
They spent hours talking, sharing dreams and stories, laughter ringing out like music. Carly felt alive in a way she hadn't before, as if Elijah had unlocked a door to a world she didn't know existed. They exchanged numbers, and over the following weeks, they began to meet regularly, their connection deepening each time.
However, not everyone was as thrilled about Carly's budding romance. Reece and Marjorie, ever the protective figures in her life, began to notice the change in her demeanor. She was more distracted, often lost in thought or sneaking away to text Elijah when they were supposed to be having family dinners.
"What do we know about this boy?" Reece asked one evening, his brow furrowed with concern. "He could be just another distraction."
Marjorie, her arms crossed, nodded in agreement. "We need to meet him, Carly. It's only fair to understand who you're spending your time with."
Carly felt a wave of frustration wash over her. "You don't even know him! He's amazing, and he respects me. I'm almost eighteen; I can make my own decisions!"
But the more she pushed back, the more suspicious her work parents became, convinced that Elijah was trouble. Determined to show them that he wasn't, Carly invited Elijah over for dinner, a decision that filled her with both excitement and dread.
The night of the dinner arrived, and Carly's heart raced as she prepared. She could tell Reece and Marjorie were on high alert, their protective instincts on full display. When Elijah finally arrived, he was polite but visibly nervous, the atmosphere thick with tension.
As they sat down for dinner, the conversation flowed awkwardly. Reece and Marjorie asked question after question, probing into Elijah's life, his family, and his future plans. Carly could see the tension mounting, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. Elijah, however, held his ground, responding with respect and charm, trying to ease the unease.
But as the night wore on, Reece leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms. "You know, Carly, we just want what's best for you. Boys at this age often have ... different intentions."
Elijah's expression hardened slightly, but he maintained his composure. "I promise you, I care about Carly. I'm not here to take advantage of her. I respect her too much for that."
Carly felt a rush of gratitude for Elijah's defense. She knew he was genuine, but the tension in the room was palpable.
After dinner, Carly pulled Elijah aside, her heart pounding. "I'm sorry about them. I didn't think they'd be so intense."
Elijah smiled softly, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "It's okay. They just care about you. I get it."
As the night came to an end, Reece and Marjorie exchanged glances, their expressions softening slightly as they watched Carly and Elijah say their goodbyes. Maybe, just maybe, they had misjudged him.
In the weeks that followed, Carly's relationship with Elijah blossomed, and slowly, Reece and Marjorie began to see the genuine bond between them. They learned to trust Carly's instincts and embraced the joy that Elijah brought into her life.
Summer slipped away, but the lessons remained: love could be complicated, but it was also beautiful, and sometimes, trust was the key to opening the door to new possibilities. As Carly and Elijah walked hand in hand, they knew they would face whatever came next together, with the support of her family guiding them along the way.        

Authors note: hiya! Thanks for reading this chapter more will be released soon