Chapter 5

"We're leaving tomorrow before sunrise," Kael announced as they finally entered the room, his voice laced with quiet determination.

Princess Elara, who had just sat down on the sofa with her hands folded in her lap. She immediately stood up, with her eyes wide with disbelief. "What about the people in this village? We need to help them!" Her voice trembled, a mixture of shock and desperation was evident in her tone.

Kael's expression hardened, his jaw clenched as he tried to keep his own emotions in check. "How can we help them? The villagers know you're here, especially the officials," he replied, his eyes narrowing with concern. "And now, they're probably already searching for you," he added, a trace of frustration seeping into his words.

Princess Elara's brow furrowed, her lips pressed into a tight line. "Kael, you promised we would help them! You can't just go back on your word!" she retorted, her voice rising as anger flickered in her eyes, mingled with a deep sense of betrayal.

Kael's eyes flashed with urgency, his hands balling into fists at his sides. "Princess, we've been followed again! We need to move," Kael said, his voice was firm, almost pleading as he took a step closer to her. His usually calm demeanor was cracking, as worry etched deeply into his features.

Elara's chest heaved as she drew herself up, her gaze was unwavering, and her voice resolute. "No! I won't leave, not until we've helped these people!" She met his gaze, her eyes was blazing with defiance, refusing to be swayed.

Kael's frustration boiled over, his voice rising as he struggled to make her understand. "Princess, you don't understand! We're being followed, okay? You're in danger! Why can't you see that?" He gazed at her intently, while his eyes pleading her to grasp the severity of the situation, desperation and fear already clouding his normally steady gaze.

Elara's expression softened for a moment, her eyes glistening with unshed tears, but she quickly steeled herself, firmly shaking her head. "I'm fully aware, but those people's lives are at risk too!" she declared, her voice steady, though her heart ached with the weight of her decision.

Kael ran a trembling hand through his hair, his chest tight with frustration. He began pacing back and forth, his mind racing, torn between his duty to protect her and her unwavering resolve to help others. His face reflected the storm of emotions within him—fear, anger, confusion, and a deep, gnawing helplessness as he realized there was no easy solution.

How could he possibly pursue the Princess now?

The sun had already set, it was already nightfall. Kael, feeling the weight of the day, silently headed to the bathroom to clean himself. Once he was done, Princess Elara took her turn. When she stepped out of the bathroom, she saw Kael lying on the sofa, his face partially covered by his clothes.

She noticed that the bed had already been tidied up. A sigh escaped her lips as a realization struck her—she had followed Kael to be of help, not to become a burden.

After fixing herself up and getting ready for bed, she hesitated. Instead of heading to the bed, she walked over to her belongings and retrieved a quill and ink. She needed to write a letter to her father. As she poured her heart into the letter, she whistled softly, summoning a pigeon that soon fluttered into the room.

Princess Elara gently stroked the pigeon's head. "Hey, little guy," she greeted with a soft chuckle.

"Deliver this to my father on my behalf," she commanded, infusing her words with a touch of her power. The pigeon obediently took the letter and immediately flew away. 

She was about to go to bed, but her eyes remained fixed on Kael. She realized he would probably catch a cold sleeping without a blanket, so she quietly took one of her own blankets and gently tucked it around him.