17

Nick watched from afar as Alby had woken Thomas up and was explaining things. Gally didn't have a nightmare that night but she was so used to being woken up that she had woken anyway. 

Alby was standing near the Deadheads with Thomas as he spoke, she knew the two boys had seen her but she didn't care. 

“Why are you telling me all of this?” Thomas asked Alby. 

“Because you're not like the others, you remind me of Nick. You're curious. But you're one of us now.” Alby took Thomas’s hand and placed the knife in his, “You need to know what that means.” 

Nick followed them through the Deadheads to the name wall, she stayed a distance with her hands in her pockets. The two boys hadn't noticed her following them yet. 

“What happened to them?” Thomas pointed to the crossed out names on the wall. 

“Like I said, dark days Thomas.”

He walked up to the wall lifting the knife, he looked for a place before settling in the middle of three names, Newt, Minho and Nichole.

“Nichole?” 

“You've met Nick.” Alby watched as he nodded, “That's her real name.” 

“But no one calls it me anymore.” Nick spoke up, startling both boys but more Thomas. 

Thomas nodded again and began carving his name as the three stayed in silence. Nick watched as his name was in the middle of their trio triangle. 

But would their trio stay a trio? 

“Congratulations Greenie.” Nick patted him on the back, “You're officially a Glader.” 

☆◇○•○◇☆

“Has anyone ever tried climbing to the top?” Thomas asked Newt. 

He had been placed with the Track-hoes for his first try out job although he wasn't really helping. Newt pointed over to Nick who was standing on top of the wall. 

“First day she was here she climbed up there. There's nowhere to go from there though, she’s explored every way.” He explained. 

“Well what about the box? Next time it come up you just jump-” 

“No, we've tried that. The box won't go back down with someone in it.” Newt cut him off. 

“Well what if we-” Thomas was cut off again. 

“No, we've tried it alright?” Newt was wishing Nick was over here at this point, “Twice. Alright, trust me anything you think of we've already tried. Now look, you wanna be helpful?” 

Thomas nodded slightly, digging his shovel into the ground.

“Here,” Newt threw a basket at him, “Go dig us up some more fertiliser.” 

The two boys laughed quietly as Thomas stumbled away towards the Deadheads. Whilst Thomas was gone Nick climbed down the wall and walked towards her Invention hut engrossed in her notes. 

She was so close to the cure that she could practically feel it like it was coursing through her veins. 

There was a loud yell that snapped her attention away and over to the Deadheads where Thomas and Ben ran out from. Once everyone realised what was happening they all started running over to them but Ben tackled Thomas to the ground. 

Ben climbed on top of him wrapping his hands around Thomas’ throat, “I'll kill you!” 

“Hey!” Newt yelled.