27: Duality

Zeru looks over at Méng Yáo as she trains the next firebender. He needs his soldiers to be loyal to him, and they are. He turns to Hotaru, Miki, Isamu. He will test their loyalty today. Zeru steps forward, pausing the training of the twins Junpei and Junko.

"Take a break," he tells them with a smile. The two stare up at him in awe before Junko blushes and nods. They walk off, getting water and wiping their sweat. He gestures for Méng Yáo to come closer, and she does. He leads her and the other acolytes to another room.

"Need something master?" Hotaru asks.

Zeru turns around with a serene smile before grabbing Méng Yáo and slamming her into the ground. The acolytes gasps but none move forward, they look at each other for cues to move. Hotaru didn't move he stared forward with a cold determination for his master.

"You went to talk to Toka," Zeru sneers squeezing Méng Yáo's neck. Her gaze frantically looks around staring at the group watching this go down. She claws at Zeru's hand trying to pry it open. "Who do you think you are?"

"You're... majesty." Méng Yáo croaks out tears brimming in her eyes.

"Who do you think you are? Visiting my wife like that?" Zeru growls shoving Méng Yáo into the floor, bruising her neck and back.

"I... Apologize..." Méng Yáo Gasps out.

"You are here to serve me," Zeru growls out shoving Méng Yáo deeper into submission. "You are my slave, an object to my whim! Do you understand? Your personal goal does not matter to me! Do I make myself clear?" Zeru asks his cold gaze looking to his acolytes. Hotaru nods and soon Miki and Isamu slowly agree.

Zeru lets go of Méng Yáo slamming her head into the ground. She lets out a low-grown and roll onto her side whimpering in pain. Zeru walks up to his two unsure acolytes. "If you ever waver again I will personally challenge you to an Agni Kai." The two flinch at his words and nod, "I will burn you until you hurt."

He turns to Hotaru, "Good man, you'll be my right-hand man."

"Yes, my lord," Hotaru said with a bow.

"I intend to conquer the world, the 20% of the quirkless population will defeat these monstrosities around us." Zeru never enjoyed the "quirks" people all around him had, an abomination. Bending is natural, but quirks manifest the ugliness in the human soul. He will purify this world, and only the pure will survive.

Zeru walked away back to the training grounds. Miki moved forward hands out stretch ready to help Méng Yáo up, "Don't," Hotaru said coldly, "She got what she deserve."

"But."

"The Master has spoken." Miki gulps and nods turning away from Méng Yáo and walking with the two men outside.

Méng Yáo sighs out rubbing her neck and coughing in pain. Zeru hasn't changed. Oddly loyal to his first wife, but never loved her. Méng Yáo's mind drifted into thought, Toka wouldn't treat her like this. Toka is kind and gentle. Méng Yáo bit her lower lip in anger, why couldn't Toka just run away with her?

She might have Zeru's love, but what good is love when his loyalty lies in Toka?

"Alright class," Ms. Midnight begins, her violet soul shimmering with joy. "We will be doing rescue training, scenario, an earthquake has hit, and civilians are caught under buildings, use your quirk to save people! You will draw lots for teammates."

One by one you all grab a piece of paper. People begin to gather up, but you just stand there. "Let's see which team you got," Ms. Midnight said kindly taking the piece of paper out. "Group D." She said a little loudly gaining that group's attention.