04

XENIA AMELIA KNOWLES
~HOUSTON TEXAS

| Never let your mask fall, unless you have another one in place|

Staring down at the picture of this Ghost character on my desk, he was so handsome that I couldn't take away from him

Even in this mug shot, I could see in his eyes he'd seen more in this life than he probably should have. From the medical records Liza had left me, he'd been institutionalized at fourteen by his stepfather Angelo.

The man had a temper on him that's for sure nothing that I couldn't handle but what I couldn't understand was why his stepfather had someone as smart as him playing babysitter to his idiot son.

"What are you up to Dad?" I'd decided to keep everyone here instead of going to the Tower to meet them I knew my mother probably was blowing a fuse with me not showing up with all that had been done.

Inhaling sharply, I'd done everything I was supposed to, but letting Desmond live had proven to be a mistake.

Never underestimate your opponent no matter how weak they appear.

Her voice rang through my mind offering a swift reminder of my mother's words, unfortunately, it was true I'd stopped seeing that man as a threat long before shit came too ahead.

You should've just killed him when I told you to.

"I am the boss don't forget that." Responding to her out loud only for her laugh to ring through.

Please if it weren't for me you wouldn't have gotten half as far.

"Your just a voice in my head bitch don't forget that." she'd been a part of me so long I'd learned to deal with her, unlike most people with my conditions.

When my parents realized I wasn't right in the head my mother wanted to send me away afraid that my illness would be seen as a defect and weakness in our family. Bad enough I was a girl and already unwanted.

Unbeknownst to them she was everything they needed to become what we are today.

I'd taken our family business and turned it into gold making us even more untouchable, truth be told if it wasn't for me playing my cards we'd be out on our asses or worse.

Checking my Rolex it was about time for me to do my rounds.

Moving towards the mirror in my office I ensured my appearance was flawless, my mother taught me from jump that a woman's beauty was her shield and you must take care of it.

A flicker of doubt crept into my mind as I adjusted my gloves. I had always been the planner, the strategist. But now, with the weight of the empire resting on my shoulders, I felt a growing sense of uncertainty.