Chapter2: 'My Mind is Racing.'

You're The Kind Of Girl People Write Songs About.

Chapter2: 'My Mind Is Racing.'

Skylar's POV:

The guy who we came to see is terrible. I can tell after about five seconds that he's going to be a complete waste of time and I was wrong to get my hopes up.

All he plays are covers of songs I didn't hear in the first place in this really uninterested way, as though he's too cool for the songs, too cool for the place, too cool for us.

A few older guys down the front are pretty drunk and getting into it, and start yelling for him to play some ColdPlay. He ignores them. Rosie and I stand just inside the door and winder where her friends have gone.

'Is this the guy we came to support?, cause he's shit.' I stated.

I can hear a sour note of disappointment in my voice, as much as I try to hide it.

'I think so,' she says. She curls her lower lip up and bites into it softly.

Silence.

'I'll get us some more drinks,' I say.

Luke's POV:

Across the room is the saddest looking girl I've ever seen, this wispy be in a second hand dress. Then I see her friend, all dark hair, cheekbones and dimples. The effect is mesmerising, a one two punch.

I sip my beer and sit on the edge of the stool, resting my elbow on a poker machine, and wonder what I can say to her, the brunette. I instantly know, somehow, that it's her that I'll talk to. And, crazy as thus sounds, that I'll always remember this moment.

Before I know it, I'm walking towards her like some cult believer walking into the light beams coming down from the mothership. And I'm wondering what I can say that will be memorable enough.

C'mon, Luke, I think, how many hundreds of people have you met in your life? How many girls have you talked to over the years?

But it's like everything I know I've forgotten.
My mind is racing.
I can't form a sensible thought.
Everything feels brand new.
Scary.
Exciting.

I try to gather my thoughts, remind myself not to over think this, to get on over there and say something, anything.

Be confident, I tell myself. You're a muso, after all. And girls live musos.

Skylar's POV:

Another and finishes playing, and I forget them instantly. Then I see a boy sitting by himself on one of the stools, wearing an ill fitting leather jacket, skinny jeans and Converse high tops, his searching eyes half hidden behind a ragged bed head fringe. I'm so stuck by how sad and beautiful he looks that I can't help wishing he would come over and talk to me. And then, oh god, he is coming over here, walking in this dreamlike walk, and try not to panic.

'Hey' he says. 'I'm Luke, I'm gonna be playing tonight.'

He smiles at me.

I try not to smile back.

He asks us what our names are and shakes hands With Rosie and I, and holds onto my hand for just a second longer than what people normally do. He asks us what we thought of the last band, I laughed, 'They were shit.'

Before I know what's happening, we're all chatting away, like we had been friends for years.

Rosie tells him about how she's studing Marine biology, history and english at Uni Tech and he asks if I'm studying too.