Six-month anniversary/ birthday

.₃₈

For our six-month anniversary, I wanted to do something special for Saiki. He's always planning the cutest café dates and surprising me with trips to museums, so I thought it was my turn to plan something sweet for him. I decided on a simple but romantic picnic in the backyard, something private and quiet that I knew he'd appreciate.

I spent the whole morning preparing—making his favorite coffee jelly and putting together these adorable little sandwiches. I had everything ready just in time. As I finished setting up the blanket and projector outside, I heard a knock at the door. Perfect timing.

I opened the door, and there he was, as composed as ever. I smiled warmly and said, "Hi, pretty," giving him a playful wink. He smiled, and my heart did a little flip—his smiles, rare as they were, always had that effect on me. I handed him a small box, and he blinked in confusion.

"Why are you giving this back?" he asked, puzzled.

"Well, he was originally yours," I said with a soft laugh, leaning in to kiss his cheek. "So, take him back."

I had Yasu distract my grandparents since they were supposed to visit today. The last thing I wanted was them barging in and ruining the mood. As we walked to the backyard, I turned to him with a grin, "Welcome to our cute little date," I said, gently touching his hand but resisting the urge to grab it.

The setup was simple, but I'd put a lot of love into it—a cozy blanket spread on the grass, a mountain of coffee jelly (because, well, he deserved the best), and a projector ready for the movie. Saiki glanced around, taking it all in before nodding, his approval subtle but there.

"I didn't know what movie you'd want to watch, so uh..." I trailed off, feeling a little more nervous than I expected as I motioned to the bin I'd set out. It was overflowing with DVDs, CDs, and even some old cassettes I found while rummaging through the attic. 

"I thought I'd give you some options," I continued, letting out a soft laugh to cover my nerves. "You know, just in case I didn't pick something you'd like." The bin, packed to the brim with a random assortment of movies, was definitely overkill for what was supposed to be a simple, cute backyard movie night. But I wanted everything to be perfect—for us to have the kind of evening we'd both remember. 

Saiki stood there, he let out a soft sigh, though it wasn't in the irritated way I'd been worried about. More like a resigned, affectionate sigh, which made me feel a little better.

"Any movie is fine," Saiki said, his voice calm, yet softer than usual. "It's all perfect."

His simple words made my heart flutter. He always had a way of making everything feel special without trying too hard. Saiki glanced at the bin and said, "How about Donnie Darko?"

I nodded, smiling as I put the film on. As we settled down, I leaned my head against his shoulder, feeling the warmth of his presence. Without a word, his fingers brushed against mine, and he gently took my hand.

As the movie's credits rolled, the faint glow of the projector flickered against us, the backyard still bathed in soft starlight. Donnie Darko had a strange plot, even by indie standards, and I found myself smiling at the absurdity of it. I glanced over at Saiki, expecting his usual composed expression, but this time, he looked mildly confused.

"Did you like the movie?" he asked, his brow furrowed ever so slightly. It wasn't often that something left him puzzled.

I let out a soft hum, leaning back against the blanket as I stretched my legs out. "It was... fine," I admitted with a small laugh, "Weird, but fine." I shot him a teasing look. "Definitely one of those movies where I'll have to sit and think about it for a while."

Saiki gave a subtle nod, acknowledging my comment without saying much. He didn't need to. He had a quiet way of processing things, and I loved that about him.

Without missing a beat, I reached over and handed him a small, neatly wrapped box. "Here," I said, smiling as I placed it in his hands. "I know it's no big reason to wrap something, but I couldn't help myself." I bit my lip, waiting for his reaction, feeling a mix of anticipation and excitement fluttering in my chest.

Saiki raised a brow, smirking in that understated way that always got to me. "A pair of glasses?"

 "For when you're tired of the ones you're wearing." His smirk deepened as he lifted the glasses out of the box. He didn't say anything, but I could tell he appreciated the thought, even if he wouldn't admit it outright.

Before he could say anything, I stood up and made my way to the kitchen, the cool evening breeze brushing against my skin. I had something special planned for tonight—a dessert that was as much a symbol of my affection as it was a celebration of our anniversary. It wasn't just any coffee jelly; it was a coffee jelly flan cake, something I knew he'd appreciate.

I returned to our little setup, holding the dish carefully in my hands. "It's our anniversary," I said with a hum, my voice light and playful. "But it's also a major holiday."

Saiki looked at me, his expression unreadable for a moment. "A holiday?" he echoed, tilting his head slightly, clearly not following where I was going with this.

I grinned and exaggerated a look of surprise, holding the coffee jelly out toward him like it was the most important thing in the world. "Yes! A very special holiday," I teased, my voice dramatic. "Happy birthday, Kusuo."

His expression softened, and even though his face remained mostly neutral, I saw the faintest hint of surprise in his eyes. His ears turned the cutest shade of red, and I couldn't help but giggle at his reaction.

I leaned in and gently kissed his cheek, feeling the warmth radiate from him. "You can be so cute sometimes," I said, unable to hide my affection. I giggled again, watching the way his ears grew even redder, though he tried to hide it.

For a moment, there was a soft silence between us. The stars twinkled overhead, the evening air cool and sweet, and in that moment, everything felt perfect. Saiki was never one for big displays of emotion, but the way he sat there, quietly accepting my affection, spoke volumes.

He carefully took the coffee jelly from my hands, his fingers brushing against mine for just a second longer than necessary. "Thank you."

I sat back down beside him, leaning my head against his shoulder as he took a bite of the jelly. We didn't need to say anything else. The night was ours—quiet, simple, but full of all the love we had built over the past six months. Saiki wasn't one for grand gestures, but moments like this—sitting under the stars, sharing dessert, and exchanging quiet touches—were more than enough. 

They were perfect.