Chapter 1

### **Chapter 1: The New Arrival**

The moment Amara stepped out of the car and into Crimson Hollow, a chill ran down her spine. The small town was bathed in the soft, fading light of dusk, the sky painted in hues of deep purple and orange. The air smelled of damp earth and pine, thick with the kind of humidity that clung to the skin. Her family had chosen this place for its quiet seclusion, far from the rush of city life. But as she looked around at the old houses with their ivy-covered walls and darkened windows, Amara couldn’t shake the feeling that something was watching her.

Her mother’s voice broke through her thoughts. “Amara, come help with the bags.”

“Coming,” she replied, tearing her gaze from the dense forest that bordered the town. She felt silly for being so jumpy, but the stories she’d heard about Crimson Hollow lingered in her mind. Whispers of strange occurrences, of things best left unexplored. But those were just stories—meant to keep children from wandering into the woods at night, right?

They had barely unpacked when Mrs. Garvey, their new neighbor, came knocking. She was an elderly woman, her skin weathered by time, and her eyes sharp with the knowledge of someone who had lived in this town her entire life.

"Welcome to Crimson Hollow," Mrs. Garvey said, her voice raspy but kind. "You folks best settle in before dark."

Amara raised an eyebrow. “Why before dark?”

Mrs. Garvey smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. “It’s just a bit of old town wisdom. The woods can play tricks on you at night. Best not to be out alone after sundown.”

Amara exchanged a glance with her mother, who offered a polite smile. "Thank you for the advice. We’ll keep that in mind."

As Mrs. Garvey shuffled away, Amara couldn’t help but feel a prickle of unease. There was something unsettling about the way the old woman had warned them. It was more than just the caution of someone looking out for newcomers—it felt like a genuine fear.

By the time they finished unpacking, the sun had sunk below the horizon, and the first stars blinked into view. Amara stood by her window, gazing out at the quiet street. The town was strangely still, almost too still. No distant hum of cars, no voices, just the soft whisper of wind through the trees.

And then she saw him.

At the far end of the street, half hidden by the shadows, stood a tall figure. He was dressed in dark clothing, almost blending into the night itself. But even from this distance, Amara could feel his gaze locked on her. Her heart skipped a beat. She blinked, and when her eyes opened again, he was gone.

A chill ran through her, colder than the night air. She shut the curtains quickly, telling herself it was just her imagination. But deep down, she knew better.

---

That night, sleep didn’t come easily. Amara tossed and turned, her mind filled with strange dreams of dark forests and glowing eyes. She awoke in the early hours of the morning, the room still bathed in the pale light of the moon. For a moment, she lay there, listening to the silence, her heart pounding for reasons she couldn’t explain.

Just as she was about to drift back into sleep, there was a faint noise—a tap on the window.

Her breath caught in her throat. She sat up, staring at the window across the room. Slowly, she got out of bed and approached it, each step hesitant, her bare feet cold against the wooden floor.

She drew back the curtain, expecting to see nothing.

But he was there.

The same figure, standing just beyond the edge of her yard, barely illuminated by the moonlight. His face was shadowed, but there was no mistaking it. He was watching her, just as he had been earlier.