Chapter 80

Olivia's pov

It's been a rough few days, and I haven't been in the mood for much of anything lately. Everything's just felt heavy, and getting out of bed has been a struggle, but when Jenna asked me earlier if it was okay to invite everyone over, I agreed. I figured it might be good for me, even if the idea of pretending to be happy for a few hours felt exhausting. Besides, Jenna seemed eager to have everyone around, and I didn't want to be the one to shut that down.

Now, we're all sitting outside in the backyard. The sun's setting, casting a warm orange glow over everything. The air is cool but comfortable, and the sound of laughter fills the space around me. Maddie's cracking jokes, Katie's telling some wild story about her day, and even Jenna's fully engaged, her laughter ringing out every now and then. I'm sitting back, trying to keep up with the conversation, but my mind feels far away. There's a weight in my chest that I can't shake, and no matter how hard I try to focus, it lingers like a dark cloud.

I glance over at Jenna. She's smiling, her eyes lit up as she talks with Maddie and Katie. It's the kind of smile that used to make me feel warm inside, but lately, it's just been a reminder of how disconnected I feel from everything. I haven't told her how bad things have been for me lately.

Suddenly, the sound of the backyard patio door open pulls me out of my thoughts. Nolan finally shows up, strolling in with his usual laid-back vibe. He's holding a drink in his hand, and I watch as he casually makes his way over to us.

"Hey, Jen, glad to have you back," Nolan says with a grin as he sits down next to maddie.

"Yeah, I'm glad to be back," Jenna says. She looks so relaxed tonight, like this little get-together was exactly what she needed. I wish I could feel the same.

"Where's Becca?" she asks Nolan, her voice light and curious.

At that, everything shifts. It's subtle at first—just a second of silence—but then I see everyone exchanging glances, and suddenly the mood around the table feels different. My stomach tightens as I look up at Nolan, who's now staring straight at me before quickly glancing away. He clears his throat awkwardly, fidgeting with his drink.

"She had to go away for a little," Nolan says, his tone casual, but I can hear the tension beneath it. My heart skips a beat. I can feel the weight of everyone's eyes on me now, like they're all waiting for my reaction, but I don't give them anything. I just stare at the ground, trying to steady my breath, pushing down the nausea that's rising in my throat.

"Oh, okay," Jenna says, oblivious to the sudden shift in the air. She doesn't seem to notice the way everyone's gone quiet, how uncomfortable the conversation has become. Slowly, the chatter starts back up again, but I'm barely paying attention anymore. I force myself to sit still, to pretend like nothing's wrong, but I can feel my pulse quickening.

I focus on a patch of grass near my foot, using it as a distraction. It's easier than letting myself spiral over the mention of Rebecca's name, easier than thinking about everything I found in the office. My hands start to tremble again, so I quickly shove them into my lap, hoping no one notices.

"You okay, babe?" Jenna asks, her voice soft as she leans toward me. Her hand grazes my arm gently, pulling me back into the moment. I look up at her, forcing a smile that doesn't reach my eyes.

"Yeah, love," I say, trying to sound convincing. I don't want to ruin the night for her. She deserves to enjoy herself without worrying about me.

Jenna's eyes search mine for a moment, but she seems satisfied with my answer. She leans back in her chair, still smiling, but I can feel her attention lingering on me, like she's not quite sure if she believes me. I can't blame her—part of me doesn't believe myself either.