01 || A Promise to Protect

Jimin sat in the dressing room, his heart hammering a frantic rhythm against his ribs as he waited for the hairdresser to finish his hair. The air hung heavy with the scent of hairspray and the low hum of the blow dryer.

Just as Jimin's mind drifted to the upcoming photoshoot, a jarring vibration shot through his pocket, jolting him back to reality. It was his mother. She never called.

Panic clawed at his throat, a cold knot twisting in his stomach as he answered. "Jimin speaking."

"Hyung! Please help me!" Jungkook's voice rasped, a thin thread of desperation barely audible over choked sobs. A torrent of incoherent words poured out, punctuated by frantic gasps. His voice trembled with a raw fear that ripped through Jimin's composure.

"What happened, Jungkook?" Jimin asked, his anxiety spiraling as he moved to a quieter corner of the room, trying to drown out the cacophony of sounds around him.

The low chatter of the makeup artists, the clatter of metal trays, and the rhythmic hum of the blow dryer all seemed to amplify the panic in Jungkook's voice.

"She wants to marry me to Xander; Hyung, please help me." Desperation echoed in every word, a plea for salvation.

"Take a deep breath, okay? Where are you?" Jimin's tone was calm, a stark contrast to the storm brewing within him. This was unlike anything they'd ever experienced. Their conversations were always tightly controlled by their mother, who restricted Jungkook from having his own mobile phone.

Jimin usually took the initiative to call, and even then, their mother rarely allowed Jungkook to speak freely, often cutting conversations short with dismissive remarks about Jimin's influence.

"I'm at home. I... I stole her phone. I'm scared, hyung," Jungkook confessed, the tremor in his voice almost unbearable to hear.

Jungkook feared Xander. The older man's presence made him tremble, and the way Xander licked his lips while looking at Jungkook made his skin crawl. Those predatory, intense stares triggered an unsettling feeling deep within him, a sense of dread that never ceased to haunt him. Jungkook didn't want to be trapped in a life defined by his mother's delusions, and Xander's predatory gaze made Jungkook's heart race in panic; he longed for freedom, for a future where he could choose his own path.

"I'm coming to get you," Jimin said, his heart pounding with a mix of worry and fierce determination. This wasn't just a call; it was a mission, a rescue.

"Promise?" Jungkook's voice cracked, and Jimin could practically hear him choking back tears.

"Promise, sweetheart," Jimin reassured him, his voice gentle. "Delete this call and stay in your room. I'll be there before you know it. I love you."

Although Jimin couldn't see Jungkook, he imagined Jungkook's expression softening as he heard his response. "I love you, too."

Jungkook was fourteen years old, living under the roof of their mother, Claire, and her husband, Lukenzy. Claire's obsession with wealth and status was the very reason Jimin had chosen to escape their home six years ago. The house, a sprawling mansion with towering columns and manicured gardens that felt less like a home and more like a gilded cage, suffocated him with its oppressive grandeur.

When Jimin had left home at the tender age of fifteen, Jungkook was just seven years old, yet their bond had never weakened. Jimin would move mountains to protect his younger brother from the harsh realities of their mother's world.

Though Claire did everything in her power to keep them apart, Jimin seized every opportunity to visit Jungkook. When Jungkook wasn't being homeschooled, it was easier to see him-meetings at friends' houses, particularly at Taehyung's family home.