02 || A Sanctuary of Hope

The door clicked shut, trapping them in a heavy silence broken only by the frantic drumbeat of Jungkook’s racing heart. He felt like he was drowning in a wave of nerves, each breath shallow and strained. The air around him seemed to thicken, pressing down on his chest like a physical weight.

Taehyung, acutely aware of Jungkook’s apprehension, wished he could offer more than a comforting presence. Jimin hadn’t elaborated on the circumstances that had led him to rescue Jungkook.

Taehyung knew something had happened, something serious, but the details were a puzzle he couldn’t quite piece together. All he knew was that Claire, with her insatiable hunger for power, was likely involved.

He rose from his chair, the soft creak of leather a stark contrast to the tense atmosphere. Circling the desk, the polished wood reflecting the warm glow of the nearby lamp, he stopped before Jungkook.

But Jungkook remained frozen, his hands trembling, his gaze darting nervously across the room.

Sensing Jungkook’s fear, Taehyung took a deep breath and knelt before him. Their eyes met for a fleeting second before Jungkook’s gaze darted away again.

Taehyung swallowed, his voice soft and soothing, “Poupée, are you hungry?” It was a simple question, but this was all he could muster.

Jungkook’s gaze flickered back to Taehyung, his brow furrowed in confusion. The nickname, unexpected and unfamiliar, tugged at something deep within him. He nodded, the movement hesitant and slow.

Taehyung held out his hand, hoping that a gesture of simple kindness would help ease Jungkook’s apprehension. Jungkook, unsure of what to do, took Taehyung’s hand in his, his touch surprisingly warm.

“Let’s go,” Taehyung said, rising to his feet, his hand gently guiding Jungkook toward the door. He kept his tone light, hoping to diminish the weight of the nickname that had slipped out. “I’ll show you your room for now, then after we eat, I’ll give you a tour,” Taehyung said, heading toward the stairs.

As they reached the stairs, Taehyung pointed out the rooms. “This is your room,” he said, stopping at the door. “Jimin’s room is the second one on your right, and my room is the third one on your left. The others are for guests, except for the third room on your right; that is where my eldest brother stays when he visits.”

“Thank you, sir,” Jungkook said politely and pulled his hand away from Taehyung’s gentle grip, the warmth lingering long after the touch had ceased.

“Freshen up, do anything you need to do,” Taehyung said, opening the door for Jungkook. “But come down when you’re done. Do you prefer to eat alone, or would you like to join me?”

Jungkook hesitated, his throat tightening. The thought of dining alone in this vast house filled him with an unsettling dread. “I don’t want to eat alone,” he said, his voice laced with a nervous tremor.

“Then we’ll eat together,” Taehyung replied, opening the door wide and gesturing for Jungkook to enter. “I’ll be downstairs.” He closed the door behind him, leaving Jungkook to explore his new surroundings.

The air caught in Jungkook’s throat as he stepped into the room, a gasp escaping his lips before he could stop it. It wasn’t just a room; it was a sanctuary, a haven crafted with an almost reverent care.

The crisp white walls were adorned with minimalist art, their muted colors echoing the quiet strength of the space. Large windows, framed by sleek black curtains, offered glimpses of a serene landscape beyond, its muted hues mirroring the calmness within.

A subtle, grounding aroma of sandalwood and blue sage hung in the air, calming the anxieties that had been simmering within him for years.

His gaze swept over the meticulously made bed, the soft grey sheets and pillows arranged with an almost Zen-like simplicity.