03 || Beyond The Fear of Light

The program Taehyung had been watching earlier flickered on the screen, a scene of a man with plump lips, long thick eyebrows, and beautiful dark brown eyes filling the display. Jungkook, perched on the couch with his knees hugged to his chest, tried to ignore the ache in his muscles.

He didn't change the channel, mesmerized by the man on the screen. "He's... he's so..." Jungkook trailed off, unsure if the man was handsome or beautiful. "He's both," he whispered, charmed by the way the man, Jin, was so attentive to the man he had seen earlier, Namjoon. "Such a gentleman," he murmured, a warm feeling spreading through him.

"Is that so?" Taehyung's voice startled him. Jungkook yelped, burying his face in his knees, mortified at having spoken his thoughts aloud.

"Both are my brothers, Seokjin and Namjoon," Taehyung said, taking a seat on the opposite couch, his gaze fixed on Jungkook. "They'll be here tomorrow."

Jungkook peeked up at the screen again, his gaze lingering on Jin's kind eyes. "He is handsome and beautiful," he said, his voice a drowsy whisper.

Taehyung frowned, a flicker of something unreadable passing through his eyes, but he didn't speak to Jungkook again. A comfortable silence filled the room, broken only by the soft murmurs of the television.

Jungkook's words were a byproduct of sleepiness, the fatigue catching up to him with the time difference. It was past midnight in Cuba, well past his usual bedtime. But Taehyung's presence, strangely, had a calming effect.

Jungkook didn't understand how it worked, but the pain in his chest seemed to ease when Taehyung entered the room. The ache in his muscles also lessened, replaced by a sense of tranquility. The tension in his shoulders and the knot in his stomach all seemed to melt away, replaced by a comforting warmth that spread through him.

His eyelids grew heavy, his focus narrowing to the comforting scent of Taehyung's cologne and the soft rhythm of his breathing. As Taehyung's presence filled the room, Jungkook's anxieties faded, leaving only a sense of tranquility.

Five minutes later, the soft, rhythmic rise and fall of Jungkook's chest signaled that he was asleep. Taehyung's gaze lingered on Jungkook's peaceful face before he rose from the couch.

He crouched beside the couch, his fingers gliding over the soft fabric of Jungkook's hoodie. The world outside had faded into a distant hum, and within this moment, time seemed to hold its breath as he took in every detail of Jungkook's features. The way his lips were slightly parted, the gentle rise and fall of his chest created a mesmerizing rhythm that captivated him.

His finger, almost instinctively, reached out to trace the curve of Jungkook's jawline, the tip lingering on the soft skin. A smile tugged at his lips as he admired Jungkook's peaceful slumber, the way his brow relaxed and his expression remained serene.

The memory of Jungkook's admiration for Jin's beauty flickered in his mind, and he found himself whispering, "You're beautiful."

Taehyung carefully crossed Jungkook's arms around his neck, making sure they were securely locked. He then slid his arms under Jungkook's thighs, lifting him with a gentle strength that made him feel both secure and weightless.

As he ascended the stairs, each step was measured and quiet, the floor beneath him barely creaking as he entered Jungkook's room. Gently, he laid Jungkook down on the bed. A flicker of uncertainty washed over him; he hesitated at the doorway, unsure if Jungkook preferred the light on or off.

Deciding to play it safe, Taehyung quietly exited the room and pulled out his phone. He dialed Jimin's number, ready to ask about the lighting but just the first of many questions he had.