Number Three

I woke up to the sound of cars honking outside my window. I covered my face with the pillow next to me and sighed. As I took a glance at the clock on the table next to the bed, I slowly rolled my body off the mattress.

My eyes were burning, and every limb in my body hurt. I could not remember the last time I felt so numb and tired. The worst part is I could not tell why.

My routine of waking up became easy over time. I set up about five alarm clocks, wake up to either of them, it depends on the night before really, drag myself to the bathroom, splash my face with ice-cold water, and finally function.

Today, I struggled to take each step after another to make it to the bathroom, ignoring the pounding in my head as I opened the door and stopped in front of a mirror. I looked like a mess. My eyes had huge bags under them that made me look like I hadn't slept for days. My hair was an absolute mess, uncontrollably falling on my forehead and sticking to my lips. I cringed at my reflection and gathered all my hair into a bun. When I finally had a clear view of my face, I noticed how pale I was, the usual redness of my cheeks completely gone.

I reached to turn on the sink and poured some cold water on my face, making an effort to wake myself up. It worked. To an extent.

Weirdly enough, I could not remember that much from last night. Or how exactly I ended up where I am now. The last thing I had a clear memory of, was talking to Five in the small diner across town.

I forced my eyes open and walked back to the room, looking around for the suitcase I thought I grabbed with me. My head started hurting more as I tried to focus my sight on the object in the huge room. I started pacing around, anxiously picking at my hair.

"Looking for this, princess?" The way these words rolled off his tongue made my blood boil. I turned my head and was immediately met with a tall frame in front of me. The smirk spread on his face made me want to slap him.

I glanced at the suitcase in his hand and without questioning how he was able to get his hands on it, I grabbed it from him harshly. He hissed and pretended like I hurt his hand, taking a step back from me.

"Don't worry, I didn't open it," Diego said and sent a wink my way. I grimaced and tightened my grip on the case. My eyes traveled back to the man in my room, now curiously walking around.

"Although, I must ask, why did you leave your stuff in the bushes in front of the house?" The words got stuck in my throat as I heard his question.

"I'm in your house?" I said surprised, not remembering coming back here last night at all.

He kept with his charade of being interested in whatever he was looking at in this room. I noticed he finally stopped pacing around and focused on one object, a painting, right over my bed.

It was a painting of a lady, a really beautiful, blond lady. She was smiling, her hair perfectly styled, not a string out of place. She was wearing a polka-dot button-up with a white collar and bright red lipstick. I walked closer to Diego, who was now blankly staring into the canvas. I hesitated before turning my head to him. His gaze was glued on the painting, not a single emotion on his face.

"Nobody has been in this room for a while," was all he said. I sighed and walked back to the bed, opening the case that contained about four more outfits, and some cosmetics. I let out a sigh of relief and reached for the toothbrush packed in the small toiletry bag.

"So are you going to tell me or not?" he followed me into the bathroom. I pretended I didn't hear him and put some toothpaste on my toothbrush before closing my mouth around it. I turned to him and shrugged pointing to the toothbrush between my teeth and he chuckled understanding I was avoiding his questions.