Chapter Fourteen

Asher Romano :

"Wanna go play soccer?" Luca said as I opened the front door

"I'm studying" I said letting him enter the house.

" Bro, this is the first week of school? you're not studying from now, are you?" He turned to look at me. Frustrated. I closed the door.

Luca doesn't know about Harvard.

He also doesn't know about the test this week. Because Mrs Larson is keeping it a secret

She wants to evaluate the class. Especially me.

"I overheard Mrs. Larson say she'll test us this week. That's why I'm studying" I shrugged.

His brows shot up. "Really??" He said

I nodded

"Wow—But don't worry. Mrs Larson won't be hard on us. Plus, you don't need to study all day. We'll play for a while then you can come back to study. Bro, please." Luca gripped my shoulders.

I sighed. I already had studied enough. Since the day I heard Mrs Larson talk with Mr Paxton.

"Okay... I'll go get my stuff." I headed to the stairs.

"Luca!! Where are you taking Asher?" Dad said from the living room. He was sitting on the floor playing with Sofie.

"Dad, hold your doll while you talk!!" When called out.
She's got more luck with him than I ever did.

I'm not jealous. I'm happy for her.

But sometimes. I wish I was like her.

Dad never had time for me when Mum was alive. He was busy trying to build up his career. In order to impress Mum's parents.
He had time for Mum. But never enough for me too.

When Mum died. Dad never bothered to talk to me either.

"Hey, uncle Rico.We're going to play football with some friends." Luca said

Dad and Uncle Patrick call it "Football" but here in California people call it "Soccer"

"Oh, you remind me of the old times. Patrick and I used to play together. And once he brought Bianca and Camila with him, to watch. That's how I met her." Dad said, a soft smile on his face as he remembered.

I walked up to my room.

I really want to invite Eve. But what would I say?

After she told me she wanted to go home yesterday.

I didn't talk to her for the whole ride.

She looked gorgeous yesterday.

I didn't take my eyes off her most of the night.