Chapter 3: New Friend?

Author's POV

Mia navigated through the crowded hallways, her mind still buzzing from the encounter with Rose. The corridors seemed endless, filled with the cacophony of chattering students and the hum of lockers slamming shut. She felt like she was moving through a maze, trying to keep her bearings as she made her way to her next class.

As she turned a corner, she nearly collided with a girl who was coming the other way. The girl, with a cascade of curly dark hair and a cheerful smile, stepped back with a look of surprise.

"Whoa, sorry about that!" the girl said, her tone light and friendly. "I didn't see you coming."

"No, it's my fault," Mia said quickly, her cheeks flushing as she tried to regain her balance. "I'm still figuring out where everything is."

The girl laughed softly. "I'm Jasmin Patel. I can help you out if you're lost. It's easy to get turned around here, especially on your first day."

Mia felt a wave of relief wash over her. "I'm Mia. That would be great. I'm really not sure where I'm going."

"Come on then, let's get you sorted out," Jasmin said, gesturing for Mia to follow. As they walked, Jasmin chatted animatedly, her easygoing nature putting Mia at ease. "So, how's your day been so far? I hope it's not been too overwhelming."

"It's been... a lot," Mia admitted, her nerves slowly settling as she listened to Jasmin's friendly banter. "I met a girl named Rose in Math class. She seemed really confident, and I didn't know what to make of her."

Jasmin's eyes lit up. "Oh, Rose Montgomery! She's definitely one of the more intriguing people here. She's got this way of drawing people in. You should know, though, she's got this habit of teasing people just to see their reactions."

Mia smiled, feeling a bit more reassured. "Yeah, she seemed like that. But she was nice enough, I guess."

"Rose is a good person once you get to know her," Jasmin said with a grin. "But she can be a bit of a handful. Anyway, let me show you where your next class is. We're actually headed in the same direction."

As they walked, Jasmin continued to chat about the school, her favorite teachers, and the best spots to hang out. Mia listened, feeling grateful for the distraction and the company. Jasmin's enthusiasm was contagious, and Mia found herself beginning to relax.

When they reached their next class, Jasmin turned to Mia with a bright smile. "Well, here we are. If you need anything else, just look for me. I'm usually around."

"Thanks, Jasmin," Mia said, feeling a genuine smile spread across her face. "I really appreciate it."

"No problem," Jasmin said, giving Mia a friendly wave before heading into the classroom.

As Mia entered the room, she felt a little more at ease, buoyed by the kindness of her new acquaintance. The class went by relatively quickly, and when the bell rang, Mia headed to her locker to gather her things. She was relieved to see Jasmin waiting for her outside, her smile a beacon in the crowded hallway.

"Hey, I thought we could grab lunch together," Jasmin suggested. "It'll be a good way to unwind and chat more."

Mia's eyes widened in surprise. "Really? That would be great."

Jasmin led the way to the cafeteria, where they found a seat at a table that seemed to be a bit quieter than the others. As they ate, Jasmin continued to share stories about her friends, her family, and her favorite spots around town. Mia found herself laughing and opening up more than she had anticipated.

"So, where are you from?" Jasmin asked between bites of her sandwich. "I know you mentioned moving from Eastwood, but what was it like there?"

Mia hesitated for a moment, then decided to share. "It's a small town, very different from here. I didn't really know anyone, and I was pretty shy. Moving here was kind of... scary, to be honest."

Jasmin nodded sympathetically. "I get it. Starting over can be tough. But trust me, Westbrook can be a great place once you get to know it. And if you ever need a friend, I'm here."

Mia's heart warmed at Jasmin's words. "Thanks, Jasmin. I really needed someone to talk to."

...

..

.

Mia's POV:

I heard the final bell rang, I packed my things, eager to head home and process the whirlwind of my first day. I made my way to the front entrance of the school, stepping out into the cool afternoon air. As soon as I set foot outside, a few heavy drops of rain splattered against my skin.

I glanced up at the darkening sky, "Seriously? right now? just earlier it was sunny and hot, what the heck" I whined cursing the weather.

Just then, a familiar voice broke through the sound of the rain.

"You're always this unprepared, or just having bad luck today?"

I turned and saw Rose standing a few feet away, an umbrella in her hand and a teasing smirk playing on her lips. Her dark hair, slightly damp from the drizzle, framed her face in soft waves.

My heart skipped a beat. "I, uh... I didn't think it would rain."

Rose raised an eyebrow, stepping closer. "Clearly. But hey, lucky for you, I'm feeling generous."

Without waiting for a response, Rose held the umbrella over to me, sheltering me from the rain. I blinked, taken aback by the gesture.

"Thanks," I mumbled, feeling a bit flustered. "But you really don't have to—"

"Nah, I insist," she cut me off, her smirk widening. "You're new here. Consider it part of the Westbrook welcome package."

I couldn't help but smile, despite my nerves. "So... you do this for all the new kids?"

Rose chuckled softly, the sound low and almost melodic. "Only the interesting ones."

The comment made my cheeks flush, and I looked away, hoping that Rose didn't notice. Rose took a step back, but kept the umbrella hovering over both of us, protecting us from the rain.

"Where are you headed?" Rose asked me casually.

"Just a few blocks down," I said, pointing in the general direction. "I walk home."

"Perfect," Rose said, already starting to walk in the same direction. "I'll walk you."

...

..

.