Chapter 2.

Aria's POV:

Aria's POV:

The next day, I decided to head to the Moon Pool to meet the girls. I swam through the ocean, enjoying the rush of freedom with my tail.

As I reached the entrance of the cave, I slipped inside. The transition from the bright, open ocean to the cool, dark tunnel of the Moon Pool was smooth. As I swam through the narrow passage, my hair flowed behind me, pulled back by the rushing water. When I emerged I was met with Nixie, Lyla, and Sirena gathered together.

Nixie was the first to speak, her tone firm and determined. "Whatever power the boys have, we can take it away."

"How?" Sirena asked, her voice tinged with confusion.

Nixie paused, clearly deep in thought. "We'll..." She trailed off, contemplating the best approach. "Zap him with ours."

The mention of using their powers made me uneasy. "You won't hurt him, will you?" I asked, my concern evident.

Lyla shook her head, dismissing the idea. "That wouldn't work anyway."

Nixie turned her gaze towards me and Lyla, a challenging look in her eyes. "Do you have a better plan? First, we need to find him."

Lyla glanced at me with a smirk. "And luckily, we have someone on our side who knows exactly where he is."

Their attention turned towards me, and I felt a knot of nervousness tighten in my stomach. It felt like I was betraying Zac, even though I knew I needed to understand more about myself—why I had become a mermaid and what that meant. I hoped that if I could keep Zac safe, everything would work out.

Sirena's eyes widened in surprise. "But that means we have to go on land. It's against every mermaid law there is."

Nixie's response was unyielding. "We've already been cast out. What do we have to lose?"

I turned to leave, feeling a mix of anxiety and resolve. "I'll leave you three to it then."

"Where are you going?" Nixie's curiosity was evident as I glanced over my shoulder.

"I still have a life on land, you know," I said softly, my voice carrying a hint of regret. "Being a mermaid doesn't change that. I have to go. I'll see you three on land, and make sure to blend in. Do everything you can to stay under the radar."

Without waiting for a reply, I submerged and swam away.

***

After my swim from the Moon Pool, I made my way to the beach. As I approached, I spotted Zac by the lifeguard tower, cleaning a surfboard. The sun reflected off his tanned skin, and I couldn't help but smile at the sight of him, even with the thoughts of the mermaids and their plan weighing on me.

"And here I thought I'd find you in the water," I teased, making my way over to him. The beach was quiet, with only the soft sounds of the waves in the background, creating a peaceful moment between us.