Omens part 5

They will become your world, and it will be yours to protect. You will see it grow, crack, reform.

You might even see it crumble.

-excerpt from Iadaelus' Journals.

"Ghiri. You're looking..."

Like I lost weight?

"Like you fought well," Enix said. Ghiri didn't seem to feel pain, but Enix felt strange looking at what used to be such a formidable force brought low. Half of a torso and a head were all that was left of Ghiri, and a crack had formed on his head. Enix unconsciously grabbed at his chest as a pang of pity arose.

Ghiri likewise did not respond immediately, surprised at the boy's sincerity.

I hope I did. But alas, it was a losing battle. The rest of the world will face similar odds. Ghiri's head tilted toward the sky.

Above them, the sky was still fractured open. No monster came through anymore, only during the first few years. Now they remained open, unreachable, as if a storm had stopped moving but stayed overhead, thunder rumbling as if it were waiting.

"You warned me about this."

I did.

"Tell me what you know."

I won't. Enix blinked, waiting for Ghiri to explain, but none came.

You have grown much since I last saw you. You've grown into the ferocity I sense in you.

"Uh, thanks?"

I am happy to see that my efforts were worthwhile. It is... good. To see you alive.

"Wow, you must have been hit hard."

The damage was quite severe, yes. It has blocked my reconstitution.

"Look, I'm not here to see how proud you are of me. I don't care for that-"

That is evident.

"What I came here for," Enix emphasized, "Is for information."

Oh?

"You knew this would happen. You prepared me for this." Enix walked forward and knelt until he was level with Ghiri's head. "I know you didn't do this just to save me."

Ghiri was silent for a long time. You were meant to be this world's shield and sword.

Much of this is beyond even me. I was able to predict the cataclysm would arrive, but not precisely when. I theorized for a long time what such a cataclysm would be, and my master and I devised many potential scenarios and responses. The Foundry was one of those responses. A place to test the inhabitants of this world. Contingencies

"You have more of these... contingencies?"

Of course. We have over seven hundred. Most lost, some inactive. Only a few remain.

Enix kneeled to the ground.

"Tell me about them."

Ghiri was silent for a while.

Why?

"What?"

Why do you wish to know? I already taught you all I could. And you have demonstrated quite the capability.

Enix stopped to consider his words. Maybe this is a test?

"Because I need to do something about this. Because you said, it was up to me. I'm ready now."

...I do not think you are.

"What?"

You did not come here to accept this responsibility. At least you did not come here on the pretense of accepting it as your duty. You are here, trying to take up the mantle you were so hesitant to take up for a different matter altogether. What is it?

What I know is quite dangerous. My master tasked me with testing those who come to these grounds. Only those who succeed may know. You have succeeded in some trials, and you have demonstrated your determination and your ability to surpass adversity, yes, but there is one last component.

"A test? Now?" Enix couldn't help but laugh a little. He must be insane. Maybe that crack on his head damaged something.

You do not need the information if you do not wish to participate. If you think it is not worth your time, why pursue it? At that, Ghiri leaned forward, tilting his head slightly.

Leave then.

Enix blinked. Ghiri, a complete mystery to the boy, who kept him stuck to test and teach him things, was just letting him leave?

"No."

No?

"I didn't come here, to this evil place, just to be told no." At this, Enix stood, turning his body to stone. He jabbed his hand into Ghiri's torso through one of the wider cracks. He lifted what was left of Ghiri up until he stood straight.

What made you think you would be told anything else?

"I have people to protect Ghiri. Friends. I won't just sit around knowing I could protect them. I need to know."

Ghiri was silent for a long time. Enix's free hand balled into a fist as the time dragged on, and Ghiri spoke just as he was about to raise his fist to strike him.

Very well. Release me, and let us begin instruction.