Two. Don't Go Into The Woods Alone

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO.                     Pilot

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"THE BATTLE OF WILLOW CREEK took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls." Mr. Tanner explains. Hazel Greenwood grudgingly looks down at her notebook, scribbling down her notes as she listened to her history teacher drone on. "How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms. Bennett?"

Bonnie Bennett looked up, surprised. "Um...a lot?" She shrugs. "I'm not sure. Like a whole lot." The class giggles, including Sadie McCullough in the row next to her.

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett." Tanner hums. Hazel's smile drops in annoyance, side eyeing her friend before looking down. "Mr. Donovan. Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?"

Matt shrugs, "It's ok, Mr. Tanner, I'm cool with it." He retorts.

The teacher hums in response, looking around the classroom before staring at Hazel. "What about you, Ms. Greenwood? As your father owns the local library, I'm sure you know plenty," He hummed.

Hazel looked at him, her eyes wide. "I'm more of a fantasy reader." She said awkwardly. Sadie couldn't help but giggle, looking away.

Mr. Tanner clenched his jaw, looking at the Gilbert. "Elena? Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significant historical events?" He asks.

Elena looks up, rubbing her arm. "I'm sorry, I don't know." She confesses.

Mr. Tanner looks down at Elena, his eyes not softening or remotely amused. "I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena. But the personal excuses ended with summer break." Hazel's mouth parted in surprise, the scoff escaping her lips as she looked in Elena's direction. Hazel was bad at emotions, especially sad ones, but she still tried to have sympathy, especially for someone like Elena. The fact the teacher had not only been so cold, but had also been so bold made her look between them with an absolutely flabbergasted expression. Sadie, who was also bad at handling emotions, narrowed her eyes at the teacher, as if silently saying what the hell is wrong with this man?

"There were 346 casualties unless you're counting local civilians."

The voice came from the seat in front of Hazel. Stefan. The mysterious new boy. The new boy who Hazel and Sadie had easily befriended in their various classes, and had joined them at lunch the day before.

"That's correct. Mister," Tanner hums, trying to remember.

"Salvatore."

The history teacher nods. "Salvatore. Any relation to the original settlers here at Mystic Falls?" He asks. Sadie looked at Hazel for verification, who nodded slowly.