Chapter 1

5/12/1999

Dear Bonnie,

You don't really know me, we were in the same 1st grade class. We used to play together with Jackson Kornfeild. I'm sorry to only be reaching out now, it's easier this way though. I know it might be weird to you, but I really need to talk to someone.

I met Eugene about 5 days ago. He likes to be called Gene.

Gene is very silly, he gets down to weird bands no one has heard of. He wears those baggy shirts, you know the ones? Where they're just baggy, nothing really to them. Maybe a band shirt every once in awhile.

He plays the drums for a band called Lines Of White, it's kinda a joke band in a way.

Gene has brown hair, it's curly and long, he's kinda creepy. He's tall, and I mean tall, like towers over everyone around him. He has a slight mustache, it kinda makes him look like he's in his 20s.

We've only talked behind the school football field. He likes to smoke weed and talk about his life.

His dad brings over women a lot apparently. He's never had a real mom, at all. His biological mother died during his birth, he never got meet her. He said that '
"the world keeps turning, life moves on. Nothing I can do about it now.", though I think he secretly wishes he had a permanent mother.

Last night, he got really high and told me that I was pretty. I think he's stupid.

-Jamie