Vanille(a) Vodka

‟ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴜɴ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ᴜᴘ / ᴡᴇ'ʟʟ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙʟᴀᴍᴇ „
sleeping states, gregory and the hawk

‟ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴜɴ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ᴜᴘ / ᴡᴇ'ʟʟ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙʟᴀᴍᴇ „sleeping states, gregory and the hawk

27th of March, 2019.

The night went by fairly quickly. Vanille woke only once in the night, to Five breathing extremely heavily, gulping for air like he had been suffocating.

"Jesus, fuck," he had hissed under his breath, rubbing at his eyes frantically.

Vanille's head was not waking as quick as they would have liked, but they managed to push themself up to a sitting position, "You okay?"

"Fuck."

"Hey, hey," Vanille's voice suddenly got much softer. "Five. It's okay. You're here, with me. It's okay. You're safe. You're okay. It's alright. You're safe."

Five swallowed hard and did not say anything. He gulped down more air like he was preparing to never breathe again.

"Can you breathe slowly with me? Square breathing, yeah? In through the nose, hold, out through the mouth. Three seconds each, alright?"

After a few moments, Five began to copy their breathing pattern.

"Can you describe your surroundings?"

"Your bedroom," Five muttered guiltily after a few moments.

"Close enough," Vanille hummed. "I was hoping for more specifics, but that'll do."

Five wiped at his forehead with the bottom of his shirt and then silently returned to lying back down. He shifted onto his side to stare at the wall and did not speak. His breathing seemed to shake slightly.

"Are you alright?" Vanille asked slowly, quietly, "What was that?"

"Just...

When Vanille woke next, Five was gone.

It was the morning now, or perhaps it had just become the afternoon, judging by the clock on their bedside. They were alone in their bed, with not even so much as a hint that Five had even stepped foot in their bedroom at all.

They had a headache, though their body hurt far more. It was a miracle, really, that they hadn't woken up in the night in pain. Vanille focused slightly, and it was like they had never been at the Academy in the first place. As if their skin had never been sliced.

When they finally had the motivation to haul their body out of bed and get dressed, they discovered that Five's discarded uniform from the previous night had disappeared, and that the clothes he had borrowed were folded neatly on the living room couch. Vanille cursed themself internally for not having stirred to any of this.

After checking their litany of injuries to make sure everything was cleaned and dressed properly, then making sure that they still had packets upon packets of seeds in their jacket, Vanille decided to go and hunt down Five, which in reality was a much easier task than one might assume. Despite his erratic behaviours, Five was quite predictable. A creature of habit.