one

Hana trudged up the winding path leading to the top of the cliff, her heart light with anticipation. The sun bathed the landscape in a warm, golden hue, casting a peaceful glow over the sprawling beach below.

At the summit, a charming, quaint house perched on the edge of the cliff offered a breathtaking view of the vast, endless sea stretching out to the horizon. The house seemed to glow with the promise of serenity, its cozy, rustic charm a perfect contrast to the bustling city life she and her twin, Hwan, had left behind.

She walked around the property, her imagination already painting vivid scenes of their future weekends here. The idea of escaping the relentless pressure and public scrutiny in Seoul, where their father’s political career often overshadowed their personal lives, was a welcome fantasy.

Hana could picture herself and Hwan enjoying quiet mornings on the beach, lazy afternoons exploring the nearby countryside, and evenings under the starlit sky, free from the prying eyes of their father’s associates and the public.

With a deep, contented sigh, she made her way down the cliffside path to the beach, the cool sea breeze tousling her hair. The rhythmic sound of the waves crashing against the shore was soothing, a stark contrast to the chaotic noise of her usual life.

Hana couldn’t wait to share this hidden gem with Hwan. Her excitement bubbled over as she pulled out her phone to video call him, eager to share the stunning view and her dream of their future retreats.

Just as she was about to press the call button, her phone rang, the screen lighting up with her father’s name.

A pang of unease shot through her. Her father’s calls were rare, and he rarely had time for personal matters, always consumed by his demanding political career.

If he was calling now, it couldn’t be good.

With trembling fingers, Hana answered the call. Her father’s voice was somber and filled with an urgency that made her stomach drop.

“Hana,” he began, his voice heavy with an emotion she couldn’t quite place, “I need you to sit down.”

Her heart raced as she glanced around the serene beach, the picturesque scene now feeling oddly out of place. “What’s wrong, Dad?”

The silence on the other end of the line was excruciating. Then came the words that shattered her world:

“Hwan… Hwan has been found dead in Daesung.”

The ground seemed to tilt beneath her feet. Hana’s vision blurred as the reality of the words sank in.

Her twin, her other half, the person who understood her in ways no one else could, was gone.

She felt an overwhelming, suffocating grief wash over her, like a tidal wave crashing down with relentless force. Her knees buckled, and she sank down onto the sand, clutching her phone tightly as tears streamed down her face.

The beauty of the cliffside house and the tranquility of the beach were now a cruel contrast to the devastation she felt. The serene setting had been her escape, her hope for a future with Hwan, but now it felt like a distant dream, irreparably shattered.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows over the beach, Hana remained on the sand, consumed by her grief.

Her father’s voice continued on the other end, offering words of comfort that she could barely process.

Her mind drifted back to Hwan’s last visit, when he had begged her to come to Seoul, to be with him. She had hesitated, thinking there would always be time to make the trip, to share this dream.