Baby sitting??

Babysitting is fun, or at least that's what I kept telling myself as Mrs. Kang rushed around the living room, gathering the last of her things.

"Y/n, I swear it's just going to be a quick trip," she said, her voice a mix of guilt and urgency. "I'll be home before dinner."

I nodded, offering her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, Mrs. Kang. Take your time, I've got it covered."

She paused for a moment, her face softening as she patted my shoulder. I could tell she felt guilty for calling me so early to babysit her five-year-old daughter, Daerin. But honestly, I didn't mind. Babysitting was my thing—plus, Daerin was sweet.

"Really, thank you, Y/n," Mrs. Kang said, the relief in her voice unmistakable.

"No problem at all—" I started, but she cut me off, her focus already back on the items she was stuffing into her bag.

"Oh, I almost forgot," she added, glancing at me with a rushed laugh. "My eldest daughter is home from college. She went out to grab something but should be back soon. Don't mind her."

My eyebrows shot up in curiosity. "Does she know I'll be here?"

Before Mrs. Kang could answer, I felt a small tug on my leg. I looked down to find Daerin clinging to me, her big eyes sparkling with joy. I couldn't help but giggle as I bent down to ruffle her hair, and she responded with a bright smile.

Mrs. Kang nodded quickly. "I did mention someone would be babysitting Daerin, but just a heads-up—" she hesitated for a second before giving me a wry smile, "my eldest can be a little... grumpy."

I blinked, feeling a tiny knot of anxiety twist in my stomach. "Grumpy how?"

"She's harmless, really," Mrs. Kang said, brushing off my concern with a wave of her hand. "Just... don't take it personally if she's a bit short with you." She zipped up her bag and slung it over her shoulder, then grabbed her keys off the coffee table.

Before I could process that warning fully, she leaned down to plant a kiss on Daerin's cheek. Straightening up, she gave me two quick pats on the cheek, adding with a playful grin, "Don't worry, Y/n. My eldest daughter won't kill you. You're not going to die."

My smile faltered slightly. "Uh, that's... reassuring."

Mrs. Kang laughed, clearly amused by my reaction, and with a final wave, she hurried out the door, leaving Daerin and me in the now-quiet living room.

I sighed, turning my attention back to the little girl who was still clinging to my leg. "Well, Daerin, it's just you and me for now."

Daerin giggled, running off toward her toys scattered on the floor. I watched her, my mind wandering to this mysterious 'grumpy' older sister. I wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of dealing with someone who didn't want me around. But, if I could survive babysitting a group of rowdy kids last summer, I figured I could handle a grumpy college student.

Right?

"Daerin, don't eat those," I said as I knelt down, gently removing the small Lego block from her hand.

Her big eyes blinked up at me, confused. "Why?"

I chuckled softly, "Because it's not food. Are you hungry? What do you want to eat?"

Daerin's face lit up, and without missing a beat, she exclaimed, "Broccoli!"

I raised my eyebrows, surprised but also a little impressed. Most kids would ask for cookies or chips, but here she was, asking for broccoli.

"Broccoli, huh? Alright, we can work with that," I said, standing up and offering my hand. "Let's go see what we can make in the kitchen."

She eagerly took my hand, and together we headed into the kitchen. Once there, I opened the fridge and pulled out a fresh head of broccoli, holding it up triumphantly. "We've got some broccoli, now let's figure out what to do with it."