CH 9: First Day: Planning Their Week

After studying his timetable, Harry quickly noticed that he had a few free periods scattered throughout the week. These would be perfect for catching up on study, relaxing, or meeting up with friends. He also noted that his electives were nicely spaced out, giving him time to focus on each one without feeling overwhelmed.

As Harry sat in the common area of House Umbra, his friends gathered around, eagerly comparing their own timetables. Lysandra was the first to speak up, her eyes darting between her schedule and Harry's.

"Looks like I've got Tuesday afternoons free," she said, tapping the parchment with her finger. "We could use that time for some serious study sessions. Maybe in the library?"

Cyrus nodded enthusiastically. "I'm in! My Friday afternoons are open too. We could do a bit of studying, then hit the grounds for some fresh air. Maybe practice some dueling techniques or go flying?"

Selene, who had been quietly scanning her timetable, chimed in with a smile. "I've got a few free periods on Monday and Wednesday afternoons. We could definitely sync up on those days. It'd be good to mix study and relaxation."

Harry grinned. "Sounds perfect. We'll have time to keep on top of our work but still enjoy ourselves. Plus, with our electives spread out, we won't be too overwhelmed with any one subject."

The excitement of the new semester was palpable, and they were all eager to dive into their chosen electives. After a bit more discussion, they had a rough plan for the week, leaving some flexibility for spontaneous adventures.

As the morning classes began, Harry made his way to his first elective of the week: Slave Training. The classroom was designed with practicality in mind, with a spacious layout that allowed for demonstrations and hands-on practice. The atmosphere was serious but not overly intimidating.

The professor—a stern but fair wizard with years of experience—stood at the front of the room, his voice carrying easily over the low murmurs of the students. "Welcome to Slave Training. This course is not merely about control but understanding the deeper dynamics of power, loyalty, and responsibility."

He paused, letting his words sink in. "We will discuss the ethics of slave training extensively. This is not a subject to be taken lightly. Those who fail to grasp the moral weight of these practices will find this course particularly challenging. For today, we'll focus on the foundational principles."

As the professor spoke, Harry listened intently, occasionally glancing around at his classmates. Some were wide-eyed with anticipation, while others appeared more reserved. When the professor asked if anyone had thoughts on the ethical implications, Harry raised his hand.

"Professor, wouldn't it be important to also understand the psychological aspects from the perspective of the one being trained? Knowing how they think and feel could make us more responsible in our methods."

The professor nodded, a slight smile appearing on his face. "A very good point, Mr. Potter. Understanding both sides is crucial. We'll delve deeper into that later in the semester."

Later in the day, Harry attended his AP Necromancy class. The professor—an enigmatic figure with a deep connection to the darker arts—had a way of capturing the room's attention. His robes seemed to blend into the shadows as he spoke, his voice low and commanding.

"Necromancy is not simply the manipulation of death," he began, "but a dance on the very edge of existence. You will learn to balance this power, to respect it. There is a fine line between mastery and folly."

After introducing the course, the professor asked the class to reflect on why they chose necromancy. When it was Harry's turn, he spoke thoughtfully. "I want to understand the boundaries of magic. The line between life and death is perhaps the most profound boundary of all."

The professor regarded him with a knowing gaze. "An ambitious goal. One that requires both skill and humility."

For Nature's Balance, the classroom was filled with the scent of fresh earth and herbs. The professor, a wise and gentle witch with a deep respect for the environment, welcomed them with a warm smile. "Magic is woven into the fabric of nature. To ignore one is to misunderstand the other. In this course, we will learn to respect both."

When discussing the balance between magical use and ecological impact, Selene leaned over and whispered to Harry, "This is right up your alley. You've always had a knack for connecting with the natural world."

Harry chuckled softly, nodding. "Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one. It feels... grounding."

Magical Creature Care was equally engaging. The passionate professor introduced herself with an enthusiastic energy. "We're going to work with some fascinating creatures this year. Each one has its own unique behaviors and magical properties. By the end of this course, you should be able to interact with them not just as handlers, but as allies."

During a break, Lysandra nudged Harry. "You think we'll get to work with a Nundu? I've always wanted to see one up close."

Harry laughed. "Let's hope not! I'd prefer not to end the year in the infirmary. But a Thestral or even a Hippogriff could be amazing."

Finally, in Gift Training, the professor—a perceptive and encouraging wizard—guided the class through a series of exercises meant to help them understand their own magical gifts. "Your magic is uniquely yours," he said, his voice calm and supportive. "It's not about replicating someone else's power, but embracing your own potential."

When they were asked to meditate on their inner magic, Harry closed his eyes, feeling the familiar pull of his own abilities. Afterward, he and his friends discussed what they had experienced.

"I felt a surge of energy," said Cyrus, his eyes bright. "Like there's something waiting to break free. It's exciting and terrifying at the same time."

Harry nodded in agreement. "It's like I'm only just scratching the surface of what I can do. I'm curious to see where this leads."

By the time dinner rolled around, Harry felt both exhilarated and a little tired from the day's activities. The Great Hall was abuzz with students sharing their first impressions of the new classes, and Harry joined his friends at their usual spot.

Lysandra took a bite of her food and asked, "So, how was your first day, Harry? Did Slave Training live up to the hype?"

Harry smiled, leaning back in his seat. "It's going to be intense, for sure. The professor's not holding back on the ethics side of things, which I think is good. You can't just dive into something like that without understanding the consequences."

Selene nodded. "Same with Necromancy. The professor seems... intense. But I guess you have to be when dealing with the forces of life and death."

Cyrus chuckled. "And here I thought this year was going to be easier. Looks like we're all in for a wild ride!"

They continued to talk about their electives, discussing the different teaching styles and the potential challenges they might face. There was a sense of camaraderie as they knew they could rely on each other for support throughout the semester.

After dinner, Harry returned to his room, ready for the comforting routine that had become a staple of his evenings. Talon was there, as always, ensuring that Harry could unwind after a long day. The massage was soothing, easing the tension from his muscles and helping him relax fully.

"Long day?" Talon asked as he worked out a knot in Harry's shoulder.

"Yeah," Harry replied, his voice a mix of exhaustion and contentment. "But a good one. I think this is going to be a great year."

As he lay in bed, reflecting on the day, Harry felt a sense of accomplishment. The first day of the new semester had gone well, and he was eager to continue learning and growing in the days to come. With the comforting presence of Talon nearby, Harry drifted off to sleep, knowing that he was on the right path.