17.

Delora

I could hear the rush of water before I could see it, the sound growing louder with each step we took. The path ahead led us through a thicket of trees, their leaves rustling softly in the breeze. Solarys walked ahead of us, his eyes fixed on the horizon.

"There's a bridge up ahead," Solarys informed us, turning slightly to make sure we were still following. "We need to cross it to continue our journey."

Seph looked at him, concern flickering in her hazel eyes. "Is it safe?"

He nodded reassuringly. "The bridge itself is secure and well-maintained. It's one of the few crossings in this region. But once we reach the other side, we need to be cautious. The lands beyond are known to be dangerous."

As we broke through the line of trees, the river came into view. It was wide and fast-flowing, the water gleaming under the midday sun. The bridge stretched across it—a sturdy structure made of stone and ancient wood, weathered but solid.

I felt a mix of relief and trepidation. Crossing the river would bring us closer to our destination, but it also meant stepping into unknown territory. The wind carried a hint of something unfamiliar, a subtle change in the air that set me on edge.

We approached the bridge, and I took a moment to admire the craftsmanship. Intricate carvings adorned the railings—symbols and patterns that seemed to tell a story long forgotten. As we set foot on the bridge, the sound of our steps echoed softly against the backdrop of rushing water.

Halfway across, I paused to look down at the river. The water was clear, revealing smooth stones beneath the surface. It was hard to believe that such a peaceful scene could precede the dangers that awaited us on the other side.

"Delora?" Seph's voice pulled me from my thoughts. She had stopped a few steps ahead and was watching me with concern. "Are you okay?"

I forced a smile and nodded. "Yeah, just thinking."

Solarys glanced back at us. "We should keep moving. The daylight won't last forever."

We continued across the bridge, and as we reached the other side, I couldn't shake the feeling that we were being watched. The trees here were different—taller, with darker bark and dense foliage that cast deep shadows over the path. The air was cooler, carrying the faint scent of damp earth and something else I couldn't quite identify.

"Stay close," Solarys advised, his tone more serious now. "This area is known for unexpected threats."

Seph moved nearer to me, her eyes scanning our surroundings. "What kind of threats?"

"Creatures that prefer the shadows," he replied cryptically. "And others who might not take kindly to trespassers."

I swallowed hard, remembering the dark creature that had chased us before. "Do you think the Veilborn could be here?"

"It's possible," Solarys admitted. "But we can't be sure. We must remain vigilant."

As we ventured deeper into the forest, the canopy above grew thicker, filtering the sunlight into scattered beams that barely touched the forest floor. The path was narrow, winding between massive trees whose roots jutted out like gnarled hands.

A sudden rustling in the underbrush made us all stop. Solarys held up a hand, signaling for silence. We listened intently, the forest now eerily quiet except for the faint sound of leaves rustling.

"Did you hear that?" I whispered.

Seph nodded, her expression tense. "Something's out there."

Before we could react, a figure emerged from the shadows—a woman, cloaked in dark green robes that blended seamlessly with the forest. Her eyes were sharp and piercing, the color of emeralds. She regarded us with a mixture of curiosity and caution.