Chapter6: city defender 1/2

"Why the fuck are there so many of them!" I shouted under my gas mask as I threw another bandit corpse onto the pile.

After last night, we captured this town.

"H-elp—"

BANG

...But there are a lot of bandits coming our way, I mean a lot of them, that we can make a small hill of corpses. Where are they coming from? I don't know. Our artillery doesn't leave a soul alive—only if they're lucky, which, by itself, is pretty rare.

"Don't worry much, Kardko. This is just a taste of what's to come," Yakov said, throwing another body onto the pile.

"Wow, such a good sentence for this moment, thanks," I replied sarcastically.

"I'm just trying to lighten the mood, you know?"

"...Do you mean your mood after what happened with the female knight?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Is the ship anchored?"

The airship is anchored to the side of the castle.

Sonya shook the anchor chain.

"Anchored and very secure."

The town has no military presence, which is weird. A fortress town like this should have some soldiers, or in this place, a 'knight.'

"Kardko, we're here!... Kardko?... Is he still sleeping?" Yakov asked, and Sonya and Adria shrugged.

Yakov sighed. "...Someone wake him up..."

Adria walked inside the ship.

Yakov walked to the side of the ship and looked over the town. To him, it was a small town by his world's standards, about the size of a fortress (which is what he thought it was). The locals looked at him and the ship with shock and fear. Of course, it's understandable—these people have likely never seen an airship before.

"Sir—"

"Just call me by my name. I'm not that serious."

"...Sir Yakov, cavalry is heading our way," Sonya said, looking through her binoculars.

Cavalry?

Yakov grabbed his own binoculars and looked through them.

Yep, it's cavalry alright. A knight's cavalry, too.

"Permission to fire the cannon?"

"Ye—Ow!" Yakov got interrupted by his eagle pulling his hair.

"Stop, you bird!"

The eagle dropped a paper on his head.

Yakov picked up the paper and read it.

"Well... hmmmm..." Yakov frowned. "...Don't fire the cannon yet."

"Huh?" Sonya looked confused.

"Don't worry," Yakov said as he adjusted his clothes. "Let me handle this."

Ignoring her confused expression, Yakov jumped off the ship onto the roof, running along the rooftops before jumping over the wall outside the town.

"Alright, yawn I'm back... what did I miss?" I said, stretching my body.

Sonya handed me and Adria a pair of binoculars.

"...What?"

Sonya pointed outside the wall.

I looked out and saw Yakov talking with a female knight.

"So, he has a type..." Adria said, looking through his binoculars.