Chapter Three: The Games Men Play

“Let us pray, brothers and sisters. The Motive Force connects us, the Motive Force is within us. Grant us wisdom to use our intelligence wisely; grant us creativity for the sacred act of innovation. We pray to the Machine God that He may deliver the Omnissiah unto us soon, so that the Child of All Thought may illuminate the galaxy with His teachings, and bring us forth into an age of wonders.”

-Excerpt from Church of the Motive Force sermon, M24. 020.

——————————————————///—————————————————

M24, 197

Sol System, Terra

“So, what do you think?” Adam in his Estalius persona asked the General of the Federation.

They were seated in one of the many sky cafes that hovered over Terra. Orbs of glasscrete floated right above the clouds, orbiting an open kitchen platform, all suspended by antigrav plates. Within were tables and seats for customers to enjoy their meals in, with androids flying to and fro from the kitchen in the middle to bring food and drink.

The food in front of General Lupercal’s drone body remained untouched, the vessel not made for consumption of biomass. This was one of the transhuman’s many bodies- the controlling consciousness was in one of the galaxy’s most secure locations, hundreds of kilometers underneath the crust of Terra, constantly receiving military information and transmitting orders. A long time ago he had been human, but to carry out his duties he had been mentally augmented to the point where his data processing abilities outstripped most Iron Minds, his consciousness plugged into the Federation’s central military Noosphere network.

An android entered the sphere-booth, setting down an elaborate three-tiered tray of spun sugar carrying golden pastries, before flying out of the room. “I believe that our argument was compelling enough to sway them to action. Even if they do not act upon it, I have already been making certain… adjustments to the deployment of Iron Minds along our borders.” The barely human intellect fixed its compound eyes on the second Overseer of the Psykana Militant. “I understand that you have been taking a similar course of action?”

The Perpetual nodded. “The newest generation of Psi-Knights have already yielded excellent results. We’re going to see widespread deployment in about two months.” He reached out to take a slice of mathematically perfect apple pie, the pastry disappearing into his mouth as a perfectly calculated blend of spice and sweetness coated his tongue. “Mmm. Not bad.”

“Dark times are ahead of us, Estalius.” The general murmured as he gazed outside at the pink-orange skies, bathed in the light of sunset. “A few years, and in place of these cafes there will be weapon platforms and Mobile Fortresses.” He shook his head “Some small part of me hoped that I could retire before experiencing something like this… but duty calls, just like the day I agreed to take this post.”

“We have to win.” The Perpetual said quietly. “We must.”

“What, or the galaxy is doomed?” Lupercal asked rhetorically.

——————————————————///————————————————

Behind closed doors, they bickered.

Star charts were pulled up and dissected, every iota of data pored over. Thousands of statistics presented as proof for arguments. Speeches lasting hours to sway an opponent to one’s side. Troop movements and intel repeatedly quoted over and over again. Consultants and experts summoned to give their opinion, diplomats of foreign alien powers called.