26

Nick stood next to the name wall, her fingers tracing over the names of people they had lost. Names of those she was closest to, Alby, Zart, Billy, Oscar and many more.

In one night they had managed to lose more than half of their family. 

The chaos of that night flashed through her mind, the screams making her wince as though it was happening again. Her eyes squeezed shut as the memories turned to her nightmare, the piles of bodies, the blood. 

There was a white flashing in between them and it felt like she was being surrounded by the pictures. She felt like she couldn't escape, they were closing in on her and making it difficult to breathe. 

Her hands grasped at her throat as thick blood started filling it up and spilling out her mouth. It felt as though she was drowning by the blood but it was only in her head. 

Only happening because her eyes were closed and her mind was playing tricks on her. If she opened her eyes it would all be gone, she’d be back at the Glade.

Except the memories of that night. They would never leave her, they would haunt her for the rest of her life.  

Suddenly a hand on her shoulder made her eyes shoot open with an audible gasp from her mouth. 

“Nick?” Gally was looking at her concerned, “You okay?” 

Nick rubbed her eyes, taking a shaky breath and nodding. “Yeah.” 

He didn't look convinced but chose to not push on the subject. Besides he knew she wouldn't tell him because she didn't like to burden people with her problems. Although they had all tried to convince her that telling them what's going on isn't giving them a burden. 

“It's sundown.” Gally squeezed her shoulder in an attempt of comfort, “You comin’?” 

Nick nodded following him out of the Deadheads and to the small crowd of those remaining. There were two poles in front of the doors that had most of them confused. 

If this was a banishing what were the poles for? Everyone was at least given a chance even if they knew there was no way of survival. 

‘Gally knows Thomas knows how to survive the night. This banishing is different.’ 

Two of Gally’s builders were dragging Thomas along who was pretending to be unconscious and Hank was shoving Teresa. The plan had begun.

The two boys let go of Thomas when they were next to the pole with him collapsing to the floor. 

Nick moved to stand in the spread out crowd of boys like Newt and Minho, Chuck wasn't in the crowd as he had the task to get weapons for everyone. 

“This is such a waste.” Gally muttered.

“Gally.” Winston called out, “It doesn't feel right man.” 

“Yeah what if Thomas is right?” Jeff, who was standing next to Winston, spoke. “Maybe he can lead us home.” 

Frypan came to stand next to them whilst Gally walked away from the poles and near them. 

“We are home.” His tone was soft and convincing to some, “Okay? I don't wanna have to cross any more names off that wall.” 

“You really think banishing us is going to solve anything?” Teresa shouted to anyone. 

That was not part of the plan, she wasn't supposed to say anything that could disturb the plan. Nick was beginning to feel convinced Teresa was trying to mess them up in any way possible. 

“No.” Gally turned towards her. “But this isn't a banishing. It's an offering.” 

The boy that was still holding Teresa pinned her to the pole and began tying her hands above her head so she couldn't escape.