Chapter 2

The rest of the morning was a blur of classes and awkward interactions with his classmates, who were all too eager to congratulate him on his new role.

It was during lunch that he saw her.

Cassidy.

The girl he knew was the main love interest in the novel.

She was sitting at the table with her friends, chatting away, oblivious to the turmoil in his head.

He had to admit, she was pretty.

Long, auburn hair that fell in waves over her shoulders when it wasn't tied up, sparkling green eyes, and a smile that could light up a room.

But he knew the pain she would cause him in the story.

He couldn't let that happen.

He decided to avoid her at all costs.

As the school bell rang, signaling the end of the day, he felt a strange mix of relief and dread.

On one hand, he was tired of being the center of attention.

On the other, he knew he had to face the reality of his new life and the tasks ahead.

He packed his bag and made his way out of the classroom, trying to sneak past the groups of students without being noticed.

But it was too late.

Cassidy had spotted him.

Her eyes lit up, and she practically sprinted over to him.

"Nathan!" She exclaimed, throwing her arms around him.

Her voice was kind. The kind of voice that made you feel happy and calm, the author was very detailed on Cassidy's character.

"I heard about the festival committee. That's so amazing!"

He stiffened at her touch, his mind racing with thoughts of how to extricate himself from her embrace without causing a scene.

"Congrats!" She said as she smiled at him, her green eyes staring at him in pure wonder.

Nathan forced a smile, patting her back awkwardly.

"Thanks." He mumbled, taking a step back.

Cassidy was like this.

She was nice to everyone and touchy but the minute it came to Carter, she got very very possessive and defensive.

However, Nathan couldn't study that for long as Cassidy's friends gathered around, all eager to talk to the new festival leader.

He felt like a celebrity, but not in a good way. It was suffocating.

"Hey, I was thinking," Cassidy began, her eyes gleaming.

"Since you're in charge of the festival, we should totally hang out more. You know, so I can help you out." She finished.

Nathan's heart sank.

This was exactly what he didn't want.

"Uh, sure," he said, trying to sound nonchalant.

"But I've got a lot of work to do. Maybe we can talk about it tomorrow?"

Cassidy's smile faltered, but she nodded.

"Okay, tomorrow it is. I'll catch you after school, then?"

Nathan couldn't bring himself to disagree.

"Sure," He said, trying to sound more enthusiastic than he felt.

Cassidy skipped away, leaving him with a group of eager students. They bombarded him with questions and suggestions for the festival.

The rest of the day was spent dodging Cassidy's friends and trying to figure out his next move. He couldn't just ignore her; she was a main character, after all.

But he also couldn't let her get too close.

As he walked home, lost in thought, he realized that he had a chance to rewrite his story. He didn't have to be the villain everyone expected him to be.

He could be the hero of his own tale.