Chapter 14: Breaking Down the Walls

The early morning light filtered through the window, casting a soft glow over the cabin. Emma lay curled up under the thick quilt, her body still tangled in sleep. Jake was already up, moving quietly through the small kitchen, preparing breakfast. The smell of bacon and eggs filled the air, waking her senses before her eyes even opened.

For a moment, she stayed there, savoring the warmth of the bed and the peacefulness of the morning. She didn't want to leave this cocoon of safety they'd built. Being here with Jake, away from everything, felt like the world had stopped, like nothing else mattered except them.

But Emma knew that eventually, reality would come crashing in. They couldn't stay hidden forever.

She sighed softly, opening her eyes and stretching beneath the quilt. As she sat up, the cool air hit her bare shoulders, reminding her that she hadn't bothered to grab a shirt after last night. Her eyes flickered to the side, where Jake had left his hoodie draped over the chair. Smiling to herself, she reached for it and pulled it over her head, the fabric soft and warm, and smelling distinctly of him.

By the time she padded into the kitchen, Jake was leaning against the counter, sipping a cup of coffee. He turned when he heard her, a slow smile spreading across his face as his eyes raked over her.

"Morning, beautiful," he greeted, his voice rough with sleep. He placed his coffee mug down and crossed the space between them in a few easy strides.

Emma blushed slightly, pulling the hoodie tighter around her. "Morning."

Jake reached for her, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her close. His lips brushed her forehead, the gesture so tender it made her heart ache. She leaned into him, letting his warmth chase away the last remnants of sleep.

"You hungry?" he asked, his breath warm against her temple.

"Starving," Emma admitted with a sheepish grin.

"Well, good thing I made enough for two," Jake chuckled, releasing her just long enough to grab two plates of food. He handed her one and motioned toward the small kitchen table, where he had already set out silverware and a fresh pot of coffee.

They sat down, the quiet stillness of the cabin wrapping around them like a blanket. It felt so natural, so easy, like this was what they were meant to be doing all along—just being together, sharing simple moments like this. But Emma couldn't help but wonder how long it could last.

"So," Jake began after a few minutes of comfortable silence, "what's going on in that head of yours this morning?"

Emma glanced up from her plate, startled by the question. "What do you mean?"

"You've been quieter than usual," Jake observed, his gaze soft but searching. "I can tell when you're thinking about something, Em. You get this look in your eyes like you're trying to figure out how to say something without freaking out."

Emma's fork paused halfway to her mouth, her heart thudding in her chest. It was unnerving how well Jake could read her. He always knew when something was on her mind, even when she tried to hide it.

"I guess I've just been... thinking," she admitted, setting her fork down and clasping her hands in her lap.

"About what?"

She hesitated, biting her lip as she considered how to phrase it. "About us. About what happens when we leave here."

Jake leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest as he watched her. "What about it?"

"I don't know," Emma sighed, pushing a piece of bacon around her plate. "I guess I'm just worried. Things have been so easy here, but once we go back, it won't be the same."

Jake didn't say anything right away, his expression thoughtful as he studied her. Finally, he leaned forward, resting his forearms on the table.

"Emma, I know things are going to be different when we leave. I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but that doesn't mean it's going to fall apart either. We've been through a lot together already. We can handle whatever comes next."

Emma looked down at her hands, her fingers fidgeting with the sleeve of Jake's hoodie. "I just don't want to ruin this, Jake. What we have right now... it feels perfect. And I'm scared that when we go back, everything will change."

Jake reached across the table, covering her hands with his. His touch was warm, grounding her as his thumb stroked her knuckles.

"Hey," he said softly, his voice laced with reassurance. "We're not going to ruin this. I'm not going anywhere, Em. No matter what happens when we leave here, I'm in this with you. Do you trust me?"

Emma's heart clenched at the sincerity in his voice. She did trust him—more than anyone. But her fear of getting hurt again kept her from fully believing that things could stay this good.

"I do trust you," she whispered, lifting her gaze to meet his. "It's just hard for me to believe that we can have this in the real world."

Jake's expression softened, and he stood, moving around the table to kneel in front of her. He took her hands in his, his blue eyes locking onto hers with a fierce determination.

"We can have this," he said firmly. "It's not going to be easy, and we'll probably have to fight for it. But I'm not scared of that, Em. I'll fight for you. For us."

Emma felt her throat tighten with emotion. She wanted to believe him. She wanted to believe that they could make it work, that their love could survive outside of this little bubble they'd created. But the scars of her past still lingered, making it hard to fully trust in the future.

"I want to believe that," she said quietly. "But I'm scared, Jake. I'm scared of what happens when we go back to the real world and all the complications come crashing in."

Jake's hands tightened around hers, his gaze unwavering. "You don't have to be scared. We'll face it together. Whatever happens, we'll get through it. You're not alone in this, Emma."

Emma blinked back the tears that threatened to spill over. She knew he meant every word, but the fear still gnawed at her.

"I don't want to lose you," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

"You won't," Jake said, his voice soft but resolute. "I'm not going anywhere, Em. You're stuck with me, whether you like it or not."

A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips, despite the heaviness in her chest. Jake always had a way of making her feel safe, even when everything else seemed uncertain.

He leaned in, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead, his lips lingering there for a moment before he pulled back. "We'll figure it out. One step at a time, okay?"

Emma nodded, feeling a little lighter, though the worry still lingered in the back of her mind. Jake stood, pulling her up with him, and wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace. She buried her face in his chest, letting his warmth and steady heartbeat soothe her.

They stayed like that for a long time, holding each other in the quiet morning light, neither of them speaking. In that moment, it was enough. It had to be enough.