Chapter 41 - Rescue

The early morning sun barely pierced the horizon as Alexandra moved silently through the house, packing essentials and preparing the girls. The tension was suffocating, but she kept her movements light and gentle, not wanting to wake Julie and Elise, who lay groggy on the couch.

Elise rubbed her eyes and tugged at Alexandra's shirt. "Mom... why we here? Why so many cars outside?"

Alexandra swallowed, trying to find the right words. "We're going to see Daddy and Uncle Carlos, sweetie. They're bringing Auntie Camille home."

Julie, sitting beside Elise, looked up at her aunt, her wide eyes filled with worry. "Where's Mama? I want Mama," she said softly, her voice innocent and oblivious to the nightmare her mother was enduring.

Alexandra knelt down, pulling both girls into a tight embrace. She kissed Julie's forehead, her voice trembling as she tried to keep it light. "Soon, baby. Mama's coming home soon."

Elise, still half-asleep, murmured, "I miss Auntie Camille..."

"I know, sweetheart," Alexandra whispered. "We all miss her."

Alexandra stood up, buckling the girls into the backseat of the car, her heart heavy. They were headed to the police command center just outside the location where Camille was being held. Alexandra's heart pounded in her chest as she realized this was the moment everything could change.

Carlos sat in the back of one of the tactical vehicles, his hands trembling as they approached the location. Every muscle in his body was taut with tension, his mind flashing through worst-case scenarios. His heart ached with fear for Camille. He hadn't seen her in weeks, and the thought of what she might have endured made him sick.

Beside him, Charles remained silent, his eyes hard with determination. They exchanged a glance, both knowing the weight of the mission they were about to undertake. Camille's life was in danger, and time was running out.

The SWAT commander's voice crackled over the radio, pulling them out of their thoughts. "We're approaching the target. Stay alert, move quickly, and follow the plan."

Carlos nodded, his throat tight as he forced himself to focus. He couldn't let panic cloud his judgment. Camille needed him to stay sharp, to bring her home.

Charles reached over, giving Carlos a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder. "We're going to get her back," he said, his voice low but firm. "She's strong, and we're going to bring her home."

Carlos barely nodded, his jaw clenched as the vehicle came to a stop. This was it. The moment of truth.

Inside the hideout, Camille's heart pounded as the door to her cell swung open. Her captor stormed in, his face twisted in fury. "Get up!" he barked, grabbing her arm roughly.

Camille's entire body ached, but she stood, fear tightening her chest as he yanked her toward the door. She could hear shouting in the distance—gunfire. Carlos had found her. He had come. But as hope flickered in her chest, the cold barrel of a gun was pressed hard against her temple.

Her captor dragged her into the hallway, his grip tight and unforgiving, the gun now pressed to her forehead. Camille's heart raced. One wrong move, and he'd pull the trigger.

"Think they're going to save you?" the man hissed in her ear, his voice dripping with malice. "You're going to die right here, and your precious husband will watch."

Her breath hitched in her throat, but she refused to let him see her fear. Carlos was out there. She had to believe that he would come for her.

Outside, the SWAT team had breached the building, moving swiftly and silently through the halls. Carlos and Charles followed closely behind, their hearts hammering in their chests as they approached the room where they believed Camille was being held.