That and I

My hands shake against the hilt of the blade. There was fear which normally would keep me on my toes, but an inconsistent beat from within shook my focus to its very core. There was only one sense that it didn't dull, or rather, a place it didn't remove me from, a place I only experienced once I offered it my all. That indulgent dark abyss that would send my heart fluttering.

The door slowly creaks open as I peer out from my hideaway. There was the open room with the burgundy wallpaper and artwork that plastered the walls, yet no sign of any intrusion. I wasn't simply going to let that slip, being far too paranoid at this point, but then again, I was vulnerable when I had heard it.

I take a deep breath as I open the door and slip out. The suspicion, although crazy when I think about it, I wasn't ready to let it linger for the whole night. I had to appease it before I could continue onward, all in hopes of surviving this mess... I hadn't thought about it like that.

"Was this thing out to kill me? What if it's a person? I'm obviously out on a whim here but I suspect that whatever lurks around here probably doesn't want me here," I thought, a chill running down my back as the thought of possible death graces me for the first time.

I peek around the corner of the next room over, looking in from the safety of, or rather, the vulnerability of the hall outside. My eyes befell the doll inside the jester's bedroom.

Truth be told, I hadn't strayed far from where I had initially been attacked by the peculiar nature of this ominous building. At that moment, the most important part was separating myself from the original point, so I burst into the next room over. Thank god it wasn't a nutjob's den...

I looked the doll up and down like I had the first time, trying to spot any imperfections. I knew how I had left it and surely there would've been some irregularities if, well... it had moved... It could be anything, an arm out of place, an alternative head tilt, rustled clothes, I was sure I could spot it.

But there was nothing out of place. The doll was just as it had been, although looking at it, I realized how much it looked like it was watching me right back as if it was looking me up and down as well. I hadn't thrown any of my gear back on so I was down to my bare necessities just like back in the bedroom.

It sat completely still, yet it felt as if the red and blue hearts for eyes continued gazing into me, evaluating me, perceiving me. It made me uneasy, so much so that it made me turn my back and leave the room behind again.

Just as I turn away, the doll leaving my line of sight, it's as if the shine in its eyes takes on another shape as I expose my barely revealed buttocks to it.

Looking back into the lobby, I see only the derelict details of the estate pierce its dim lighting. I couldn't do this, I had to solve this some other way.

I quickly returned to my original hiding spot and closed the door behind me. There was only one entrance into this room, so long as I could block myself from danger, I could weather the storm and leave at dawn. I just had to secure my one safe place.

My focus veers off to the right as I stand in front of the door, landing on the dusty dresser that's sitting alongside the wall. Questioning myself for only a moment, I grab hold of it from the side and attempt to drag it in front of the door.

It's heavy. Very heavy. Budging it only a little the first time, I feel my strength crumble as the surprise of its sheer volume kicks back at me. Yet despite this, some reserve comes swinging from within, one driven by an adrenaline-fueled fear of leaving this world in some horrible way. Taking a wide stance and straightening my back, I lift it and pull it little by little until I've got it where it matters.