30 |

I spent a serene night and day in the chamber with Juliet and Arthur, gradually adjusting to the reality of having twins. The room, now softly lit and decorated with their new crib, felt both cozy and surreal. The arrival of the twins was still difficult to fully grasp; the fact that I had two precious lives to nurture seemed almost unbelievable.

As I ascended the stairs to our bedroom, my heart ached with a mixture of anticipation and worry. Edward had been growing weaker, and I had been dreading what I might find. When I entered our room, I was met with a scene that made my heart twist in my chest. Edward lay in the bed, his face drawn and pale. His eyes were closed, and he seemed to be enduring a level of pain that was almost palpable. His breath was shallow, each exhale a struggle, and his hand lay limply at his side, clutching the sheets as if they were the only anchor keeping him tethered to the world.

I moved gently, carrying my children with utmost care. The sight of Edward, frail and suffering, was both heart-wrenching and poignant. I approached the bed, holding Juliet and Arthur close, and Edward's eyes fluttered open. He squinted, his gaze fixed on the tiny figures in my arms.

"Isabella?" he croaked, his voice barely a whisper. The faint smile on his lips was weak but hopeful. "Is that truly you?"

"Yes, it's me, Edward," I said softly, my voice trembling with emotion. Tears began to fall freely down my cheeks.

He attempted to sit up, his movements slow and labored, and I moved closer with the babies. He peered at them with a mixture of awe and disbelief. "Am I dreaming, or are there really two babies?"

"No, Edward, it's not a dream," I said, my voice breaking as I spoke. I gently handed Juliet and Arthur to him, his hands trembling slightly as he took them. "These are our children. This is Juliet," I said, pointing to the tiny girl, "and this is Arthur."

As Edward held them, his eyes widened, and the emotion overwhelmed him. Tears streamed down his face as he gazed at the two tiny lives he had been longing to see. His voice cracked with regret and sorrow. "I am so sorry, Isabella. I wish I could have been there with you."

I knelt beside him, my heart breaking at the sight of his tears. "You were missed every moment, Edward. But they need you now. We need you."

He drew Juliet and Arthur close, his tears mingling with theirs. He placed his face against my chest, sobbing softly. "I don't want to die," he murmured against my heart, his voice filled with despair. "I want to be here for them. I want to see them grow."

I wrapped my arms around him, cradling him as he wept. "You're not alone in this, Edward. We'll fight together. I need you here, for them and for me."

He clung to me, his sobs softening into quiet, heart-wrenching cries. We held each other, our shared grief and love intertwining in a moment of raw vulnerability. The room was filled with the echoes of our anguish, but amidst the tears, there was a flicker of hope—a fragile promise that, despite the pain, we would find strength in one another and in the family we had created.

As Juliet began to wail, her cries pierced the stillness of the room, followed closely by Arthur's distressed noises. Edward and I exchanged a soft chuckle, the sound a mixture of amusement and relief. The unexpected symphony of baby cries was a stark reminder of the new chapter in our lives, but it also brought a moment of lightness.

"They've inherited your eyes," I whispered to Edward, my voice tinged with affection.

Edward's eyes softened as he gazed at Juliet, his thumb gently brushing over her tiny hand. "And they've taken on your nose," he replied with a tender smile, a spark of joy breaking through his weariness. "It seems they're a perfect blend of us."